cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use my local DHCP server not the UC500 to register my phones

lukekrouse
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use my DHPC server to dish out IPs for the 7900 series phones. I need to have a local IP not a 10.1.1.xx. I am not sure what the preferred method to disable the UC500 DHCP server and use my DHCP server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

jburton
Level 1
Level 1

lukekrouse wrote:

I want to use my DHPC server to dish out IPs for the 7900 series phones. I need to have a local IP not a 10.1.1.xx. I am not sure what the preferred method to disable the UC500 DHCP server and use my DHCP server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Presuming you used the default name "phone" for the UC500s phone dhcp server,

no ip dhcp pool phone

Would do nicely...

REMEMBER... You'll need a tftp server on your network, and you'll have to configure your DHCP server to use OPTION 150 and point it to your tftp server.

Otherwise your phones won't know where to get their config files....

Works here, tho naturally your mileage may vary....

John,

REMEMBER...
 You'll need a tftp server on your network, and you'll have to configure
 your DHCP server to use OPTION 150 and point it to your tftp server

Can you elaborate a little on this. I am not sure I am following.

Add (E.g option150 ip 10.1.1.1 to your DHCP server voice pool. This will point the phones to the UC500 TFTP server. You may also need to add an ip helper depending on your network configuration.

lukekrouse wrote:

John,

REMEMBER... You'll need a tftp server on your network, and you'll have to configure your DHCP server to use OPTION 150 and point it to your tftp server

Can you elaborate a little on this. I am not sure I am following.

There's a bit more to assigning ip addresses to CISCO IP phones than to PCs..   Primarily, you have to deal with cdp .. which is that protolcol that tells the phone what VLAN it belongs to.   If your phones are connected to a CISCO switch (ESW, Catalyst etc) it will most likely have two or more VLANS built in to it.  When your phone connects to that switch, it'll FIRST ask (via cdp) what VLAN its voice should belong in and (if necessary) what data VLAN its data switch should belong in (I''m presuming a 7900 or 500 series phone here).   Once the phone knows what VLAN to join, it will issue the DHCP request and your DHCP server should respond with the bare minimum of info.  IP address, NetMask, and Default Gateway.  Additionally, CISCO IP phones require a tftp server from which to gain their configuration files (.xml files stored in a UC500 on the system: file system).  To identify that tftp server, you'll need to use option 150 in the dhcp server.  The value assigned to option 150 is the IP address of the tftp server that holds the configuration files for the phone.

Frankly, for IP PHONES, it's much easier to just use the UC500s dhcp server.  You may wish to change the network, but all the other stuff that and IP phone requires is already in place in a default installation of the UC500 .. use it.. 

As for the DATA side, it is a fairly straight forward dhcp setting, and moving it off the UC500 is a quite simple job.   But you may be, at that point, moving away from the "Office in a box" concept that the UC series of hardware is designed to support....

HopeItHelps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: