cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use old Linksys SPA9xx with UC500

CrossnetIP
Level 1
Level 1

First of all, I apologize for this question, I´m sure that it is answered somewhere, but it took me some hours and I´m in a little hurry.

I have an UC560 with IOS 15.1(2)T2 and software package 8.1.0. CCA is version 3.0.

I have connected an Cisco IP Phone 303, it started to download some files, and it started to work.

But, I'm trying to do the same with a SPA941, but it doesn´t register. The firmware version of the SPA941 is the 5.1.8 (the last one, I think) and I tried to give the phone the information about the UC560, but I can´t do they communicate each other.

I was looking for a guide for configuring other SIP phones into the UC500, different from new Cisco IP Phones, but I didn't find it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

10 Replies 10

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Rosana,

I wanted to let you know that the SPA9XX Linksys phones are not supported on the UC500 platform.

They are only able to handle SIP registration and the new SPA500 series phones use SCCP to register to the UC540/560

I hope this answers your question on the SPA900 series phone

You need to look at the SPA500 series phones to work with.

Here is the link for the model information

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/voice_conferencing/SPA_500/index.html

Hi Arthur,

Thank you very much for your help, and your fast answer.

So, can´t I configure a SIP registration of the SPA9xx into the UC500?

Some months ago, I was at a Cisco course about UC500, and they said that UC500 can use every SIP phone, but they don´t teach us how to, during the course.

If I understood, UC500 only accepts telephones through SCCP protocol, not SIP protocol.

Best regards,

Hi Rosana,

Arthur is correct in what he was saying, but also what you were advised at the boot camp was also correct.... Confused yet???

The UC500 has what is called Global Register DN, however as I understand it right now this is still not supported by CCA and is still only a CLI based configuration, this GRDN allows you to register SIP end points to the system and it has an extension number, but you also have limited functionality.

I would steer clear from doing this unless you had either pretty good CLI management skills or if it is ever released in CCA you then look to applying it there.

I also wouldnt recommend running the SPA900 series phones on the UC either, the rule of thumb as they say, is to never run something that was not initially designed or meant for that system, otherwise you open yourself up for more problems.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

Thank you for your answer. As you say, I would prefer not to use SPA900 phones in UC500, but I need to. I have a customer who didn´t buy new phones because he had SPA900, so I have to use them.

At the UC500 course, the teacher said the same as you, phones different from 500 series have limited funcionality.This is no a problem, I´m prepared for it.

Despite of your advice, I´ll try to configure it. Wish me good luck!

Regards,

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rosana,

If you get stuck let me know and I will give you some configuration examples. However I point out that what ever I give you will not work with CCA, further to that you will not get support from Cisco for this type if deployment.

I wish you luck, you are taking on a project that some of the most seasoned UC-500 engineers would not even do or attempt themselves.

If I can give you any advice, it would be to slowly ween the client of them and replace them with cheap and cost effective SPA500 series phones, they truly are quite cheap now and work like a treat with the UC500 and UC320 appliances.

Cheers,

David.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

I found some guides to configure it from CLI, but I wasn´t able to make it work yet.

I think it´s a good idea what you say about buy new phones, I'll try it.

I have more problems with UC500, so I'm fighting a lot with it, but I'm learning a lot too.

Thanks for your help.

If I make it work, I will give here the configuration.

Regards,

Hi Rosana,

This is a workable example that I have relied upon more than once, but I assure you that no matter how many times I rework the config it does not always fire off first go, but it certainly is one that works

voice register global
mode cme
source-address 10.1.1.1 port 5060 (Make sure you use the TFTP-SOURCE in your telephony-service section)
timeouts interdigit 5
max-dn 10
max-pool 5
authenticate register
authenticate realm
timezone 47
date-format D/M/Y
create profile
voicemail 299
tftp-path flash:
dialplan-pattern 1 31036... extension-length 3

voice register dn  1
name TestPhone
label Testphone-300
number 300
call-forward b2bua noan 299 timeout 20
call-forward b2bua busy 299 timeout 20
allow watch

voice register dn  2
name Test
label Test-301
number 301
call-forward b2bua noan 299 timeout 20
call-forward b2bua busy 299
allow watch

voice register pool  1
id mac 0001.0001.0001 (Get the MAC of the SPA9xx and place it here)
number 1 dn 1
dtmf-relay sip-notify
codec g729r8 (Choose your Codec)
username 300 password 1234

voice register pool  2
id mac 0002.0002.0002 (Get the MAC of the SPA9xx and place it here)
number 1 dn 2
dtmf-relay sip-notify
codec g711ulaw (Choose your Codec)
username 301 password 1234

Stuff in red is what you will need to make changes to so it will work right, and this configuration has been tested to work in 2 different scenarios, in fact this was used for a SIP Pay Phone which was a project I was working on, I was quite excited when it worked as the whole concept of a SIP pay phone at the time just seemed odd to me but once it work I thought it to be quite a good thing.

Now as always I must caution you that this is not a supported method by Cisco support of any form TAC or SBCS support, this is also not a supported configuration by CCA either, thus you are alone in the wilderness on this one you will be left to fight of the IOS green gremlins on your own with this one, if you beat your head against a wall when problems arise from this configuration just remember that at one stage you would have asked yourself the question "Why on earth did I agree to this or even consider it", and I guess you will know not to do it again

Cheers,

David.

Thank you very much, David, it´s a big big help!

I have found a configuration very similar to this (but no equal) in other places, I tried it but it didn´t work.

Nevertheless, I see you have different commands, so I have to test again.

For example, the configuration I found contains:

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern 1.0

session target ipv4:10.1.10.1

session protocol sipv2

dtmf-relay sip-notify -> I can't select this option. dtmf-relay doesn't have sip-notify as an option

b2bua

codec g711ulaw

no vad

I haven´t a lot of time, and I have to configure more things, so the customer finally will add new phones.

If I have time after the configuration, I would like to test your commands, only to be able to do it, but now I have to fight with other things.

I know this isn´t a supported method. I called Cisco yesterday and they told me. But I'm very upset because I asked this at the course and the teacher said that there was no problem. I would prefer he told me that this is not supported, so I wouldn´t have to spend my time at this problem.

You´re right. Right now, I'm thinking: "Why on earth did I agree to this or even consider it"

Thanks again, and regards,

Hi Rosana,

I suspect that the Boot Camp you were at was a Partner Hosted one, and one thing I have learnt over the years is that the Partner has one Vision and Cisco may in fact have an entirely different one. The instructor may also not appreciate or like certain things that Cisco are doing and thus continue to stay the course they have always been used to and have always taught.

This has been a problem for me so I stopped going to boot camps, in fact these forums have been more forth coming with information and training then they have in the past, and frankly I was getting sick of arguing with the instructor/proctor about certain things.

Always check with Cisco before you do things these days it is best to go to the source...

Cheers,

David.

Hi Rosana,

let me know if your problem was solved and if you could record the phone, I'm having the same problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: