Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video-conference issue

Hi, 

I need help understanding this situation, a customer of mine having his computer connected through SPA514G. but when he starts video calls like skype or other apps, calls become choppy and scratchy. and when he connects his computer directly to the switch or to a wifi, the issue is no longer happening.

Do have any idea what that could be ? any solution ?

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Applications causing the issue are using so much network bandwidth. There's not enough bandwidth remaining to  phone to maintain acceptable quality of call.

1. QoS needs to be configured correctly (it require proper configuration of switches and routers of your local network, ask local network administrator for help - it require deep-in knowledge of network principles as well as knowledge of features of active components of your network).

2, If [1] impossible, don't share connection - e.g. don't connect a device to PC port of phone, use independent connection to connect it

3. If [1,2] impossible, limit applicaion's demands for bandwith - configure lower video quality, limit download/upload speed and so on.

Note that 2 and 3 are just workarounds - it may lower impact of the issue, but it doesn't solve the primary issue.

Thank you for your quick reply, but the issue is not with call on telephone system, it's on video calls through computer. PC port supposed to be a gig port, the internet speed is about 500 mbps through the phone.

so when he bypass the phone either using wifi or directly to switch he has no issue, it's only when he connect through his phone, that video calls start to be scratchy...it's like the phone is limiting video calls or something.

While 514G features 1000BaseT port, it doesn't mean the internal switch can handle wire speed. Documentation doesn't mention troughtput and number of packets per second the 514G can handle. I didn't disassembled 514G yet so I can't estimate.

In 504G, there's no internal switch - switching is done in CPU by software. If 514G uses same approach, the true throughput, especially for small packets, will be rather low despite 1Gbps wire speed. May be it's why SPA514G has been claimed End-Of-Life product ...

OK - my advice - don't pass traffic thru phone unless you have no other choice. If you have no choice, don't assume fast connection, configure application to assume slow connection. 

That make sens. My next step is to check with 6851 and 8841 and see.

Worst case run a new cable only for phone.

Thank you very much !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: