cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Get the latest new and information the November issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

WBPN red flashing system LED after flash to V1.0.1

I just grabbed a couple of SPA514G's and WBPN's to expand my office demo/test network.

After connecting the first pair of WBPN/SPA514G, I got the brilliant idea to check and see if there was any new firmware (the unit said V1.0.0) after I had configured it to my Voice VLAN and voice wireless SSID and everything was working great.  The phone had flash updated from my UC320W and everything was cool.

I logged into the WBPN's web interface and started the flash upgrade with "WBPN_1.0.1_FW.BIN" and it seemed to upload OK and started to flash itself.  When the flash was done (or had been going for a time at least) the SYSTEM LED started blinking RED (orange I guess really) and the unit disappeared from the network.  I left it this way for quite some time thinking maybe it was a slow flash.  After that I power cycled it with the same result.  Reset button yielded no results either.

It just sits there with a blinking red system led and is apparently bricked.

Any ideas on this one folks?  I have another new WBPN in the box but I'm afraid to deploy it and upgrade it.  I think I'll just set it up and leave the firmware alone until I know what happed to the first one.

Thanks.                 

Everyone's tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Beginner

Hey Chris-

Were you ever able to figure this out?  I just did the same, with the same results... #hindsightis2020.

Thanks,

-Ed

Beginner

I had to have the unit replaced.  I did not try to flash the other one I have nor have I flashed the new one.  I just put them into production with the shipped firmware.

I expect I would brick another if I tried again.  There is a firmware bug in play that has not been addressed by Cisco.

I wish I had better news for you.  I suspect you will have to return your unit as well.

Have a great day!

Beginner

Hi all, I have the same issue

Hi all, I have the same issue, but 3 months after you..... do you have any solution ?

Sam

Beginner

Another report of the same

Another report of the same experience.  Had a WBPN with 1.0.1b firmware.  Downloaded and upgraded to 1.0.2. Bricked.

I was hoping that the upgraded firmware would correct a problem I was having with my SPA303 going offline and showing three yellow lights multiple times per day.

Terrible customer experience. 

Beginner

Back in January 2014, I had

Back in January 2014, I had the same experience with the flashing red system light resulting in the WBPN being bricked so I sent the WBPN back for a refund from buy.com.  Fast forward to June 21, 2017 when OfficeDepot.com had the item available online so I ordered, it was ordered from Cisco Systems directly and dropped shipped by Ingram Micro and arrived yesterday.  The unit came with v1.01b and I am afraid to flash with v1.02.  You would think the new stock would have the most current software on it.  

Beginner

Same issue here with a new

Same issue here with a new WBPN recently purchased.  Firmware that shipped with unit was something like V 101B .. seemed to work OK, except you could not manage the bridge after it associated with an Access Point.  I was able to get back into the bridge's web admin by turning off my AP (so bridge would not associate wirelessly) and rebooting the bridge.

I downloaded and loaded the latest firmware from Cisco today, WBPN_V1.02_FW.bin, and the bridge's web admin said the upgrade had completed and to wait 120 secs and then reopen your browser.  I saw a couple of green LED patterns, then it seemed to reboot.  At that point, only flashing orange system LED.  Pressing reset button has no effect... unit appears to be bricked.

Note- this was done on a Windows 7 Pro laptop, directly connected to bridge via Ethernet, and Chrome browser.

Calling Cisco small business support to open a case.

Beginner

Did you get a resolution from

Did you get a resolution from Cisco Support? Just unboxed a new WBPN and experienced the same issue you did!

Beginner

Just had the same experience.

Just had the same experience. A decade of experience in the embedded software industry did not help me avoid this. Seemed like a really straightforward firmware update process.

How does something destructive like this get shipped? It's embedded systems 101 - checksum the firmware before updating. Always enable field upgrades and/or a fallback reset capability.

Beginner

Re: Just had the same experience.

Same.

Any assistance Cisco?

kjagh
Advocate

Cisco doesn't recognize issues reported here important enough to be solved. You need to call official support.

Beginner

POS item ... Cisco will not replace this unit if it's bricked.  I updated the firmware and got the red light and it's bricked.  Do not buy this product or take your own risk.  Do not waste your time with support.