cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why don't my Cisco SPA303's ask for spa303.cfg from tftp server?

Alexander1_23
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a dozen or so SPA303's (brand new) that  are pre-loaded with 7.4.5 firmware. I have tftp set up to direct their tftp server to my alternate Asterisk server which runs TFTP.

What I'm seeing on tcpdump in my tftp server is the phones requesting:

1. SEP<Macaddress>.cnf.xml

2. XMLDefault303.cnf.xml

3. XMLDefault.cnf.xml

then it repeats one time, and evidently gives up.

Updating firmware by web UI to 7.4.8, 7.5.2b and 7.5.3 did not make any difference, respectively.

I have also CallManager that CDP enabled on our local network.  It seems this is why our phones are requesting files written above.

I have read about this issue and found out something related to VLAN setting. But our ISP that we rent fiberoptic lines does not let us setting up more than one VLAN at remote campus. What should i do to force my phones to get spa303.cfg from my tftp server ? Can i get them work correctly if i disable CDP on my callmanager ? How to force my phone to remain in SIP mode and request spa303.cfg from tftp server ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Alexander

10 Replies 10

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Try to disconnect each phone from the network and

1) Factory reset the device -> This will reset back to SIP mode

2) After phone reboots then enter setup mode of the phone and disable CDP (under network) and save config.

3) Reconnect each phone to the network and it should now stay in SIP mode (with CDP disabled) and then retry the tftp download.

Randy

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. Many of our phones are connected at various remote campus. So we do not want to go each of them in order to make correct configuration. We can do it easily by forcing phone to get spa$MA.xml from web browser if phones are connected to network.

We struggle to find out zero-touch spa303 configuration. After phone request occur, we do not want to follow it whether phones are connected to network or not.

Addition : What makes me confused is, there is no such a problem at central campus. All phones are able to get spa303.cfg and spa$MA.xml, respectively. But at remote site, somehow, phones are stuck on CDP and does not attempt to get spa303.cfg.

Alexander

I believe what you need is option to provide tftp server address in the dhcp scope.  Option 66.

When phone at remote location boots up it doesn't know what tftp server to use to pull it's configuration file.

Look into Option 66 and see if that is the issue you are encountering.

The zero touch  is an option with -RC sku's but the phones are locked into a service provider allowing for phones to be provisioned remotely without any end user configuration.

Randy

According to logs i have post below it seems to me that there is no problem with dhcp server option 66.

That is what i get from tcpdump when we connected spa303 to network at remote site.

[root@proserver ~]# tcpdump port 69

tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode

listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

IP Phone's IP.blackjack > tftp's IP.tftp:  51 RRQ "SEP.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize

IP Phone's IP.cap > tftp's IP.tftp:  49 RRQ "XMLDefault303.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0 

IP Phone's IP.1027 > tftp's IP.tftp:  46 RRQ "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.1028 > tftp's IP.tftp:  51 RRQ "SEP.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.solid-mux > tftp's IP.tftp:  49 RRQ "XMLDefault303.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0 

IP Phone's IP.iad1 > tftp's IP.tftp:  46 RRQ "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

The logs i have posted below is also spa303 but connected to network at central campus.

IP Phone's IP.1027 > tftp's IP.tftp:  39 RRQ "/spa303.cfg" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.1024 > tftp's IP.tftp:  51 RRQ "SEP.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.blackjack > tftp's IP.tftp:  49 RRQ "XMLDefault303.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0 

IP Phone's IP.cap > tftp's IP.tftp:  46 RRQ "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.1027 > tftp's IP.tftp:  51 RRQ "SEP.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.1028 > tftp's IP.tftp:  49 RRQ "XMLDefault303.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0 

IP Phone's IP.solid-mux > tftp's IP.tftp:  46 RRQ "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

IP Phone's IP.iad2 > tftp's IP.tftp:  56 RRQ "/spa/xml/spa$MA.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize

IP Phone's IP.blackjack > tftp's IP.tftp:  50 RRQ "spa50x_30x_en_v752.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

Callmanager provisioning works perfectly at remote or central location. Because what phones attempt to pull is provision files of Callmanager. Thanks.

Alexander

Randall Bordner wrote:

Hi,

Try to disconnect each phone from the network and

1) Factory reset the device -> This will reset back to SIP mode

2) After phone reboots then enter setup mode of the phone and disable CDP (under network) and save config.

3) Reconnect each phone to the network and it should now stay in SIP mode (with CDP disabled) and then retry the tftp download.

Randy

I tried your solution that you suggested me. I did it exact the same way but phones still request Cisco CallManager files. Have you any further idea  ?

Thanks a lot

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

It is normal for the phone to look for CUCM files at startup time. Disable CDP will only stop the phone from moving to another VLAN without you realizing it. You need to make sure that the TFTP server specified in the DHCP OPTION 66 does not have any CUCM-related files for the booting SPA phone else the phone will again switch to SPCP mode.

Consider reviewing the following:

• SPA5xx IP Phone Boot Process Details:YouTube [8 minutes]
  • other tutorial items of interest, see ref. doc. link in my signature.

Regards,

Patrick---

Use this reference document to locate SPA phone resources

Hi Patrick,

We don't have any CUCM-related files in our tftp server. The problem is that, although phones connected to network in our central campus does not have such a problem (as shown logs above), phones not located in central campus are not able pull spa303.cfg. The others (related to CUCM) are always requested. But none of them exist in our tftp's directory.

Thanks,

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Just a nit-pick, I'm sure you already know this, but the phone looks for "/spa303.cfg" not "spa303.cfg"

Let's  simplify your issue, forget that you have CUCM running.

CUCM is not an  issue unless you have CDP running on the swich connected to the SPA303 and the SPA303 is requesting files on the wrong VLAN. 

CUCM is not an issue unless the responding DHCP server is pointing the SPA303 to the wrong TFTP server.

Try this:

a. Factory reset your phone [else it will not look for /spa$PSN.cfg]

b. What  DHCP server responds to your SPA303 when it boots up? Is it the DHCP  server you're expecting, or didn't a rogue DHCP server "jump" in and  make an OFFER pointing the SPA phone to the wrong place?

c. Look at the DHCP OFFER OPTIONS from the server, is OPTION 66 *exactly* what you're expecting?

d. Now look at the ARP request that the SPA303 performs, is it ARPing the correct provisioning server?

Here's what you should see assuming your phone gets no response from a TFTP server:

1. The SPA303 will now look 4 times for the following files at 3-second intervals:

SEP1CDF0F2F14F2.cnf.xml

/spa303.cfg

2. The SPA303 will now look 8 times for the following files at 3-second intervals:

XMLDefault303.cnf.xml [repeat 8 times]

/spa303.cfg

3. The SPA303 will now look 20 times for the following file at 3-second intervals:

/spa303.cfg

4. The SPA303 will now look 33 times for the following file at 3-second intervals:

/Cisco/SPA303/1cdf0f2f14f2.cfg [33 retries for this file]

5. The SPA303 will now look 33 times for the following file at 3-second intervals:

/spa303.cfg

Up to now, about 6 minutes have elapsed since the phone was connected to the network and powered up.

6. Wait for about 54 minutes

7. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until a file is found [click Wireshark image for high-resolution version]

Regards,

Patrick----

Use this reference document to locate SPA phone resources

Hello sel elf,

I had the same problem. but my colleague helped me with it. Try this:

ip tftp source-interface XXXXXXX (mine was GigabitEthernet0/0)

This one solved my problems, I hope you'll solve your's.

Regards,

Trifon

luis-solorzano
Level 1
Level 1

Setting-->> callcontrolsetting -->>SignallingProtocol-->>SIP

BR

Luis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: