cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will there be an increase in the UC540 user capacity in the future?

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

The UC540 includes an 8-user license by default, and is upgradeable to 32 users through a license upgrade. The UC540, like the UC520-24U, UC520-32U, and UC520-48U, has 1 PVDM2-64 module, which as twice as many DSPs as the PVDM2-32 module found on the UC520-8U and UC520-16U. The UC540 has more RAM, more flash memory, and more voicemail capacity than the UC520-24U, UC520-32U, and UC520-48U. I know that the UC540 hardware is capable of handling 64 users. Will there be an increase in the UC540 user capacity in the future, or will the user limit remain unchanged?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is not that development has stalled, rather is was ceased as announced, because ISR G1 have gone end of sales, and Cisco will not continue releasing new software for discontinued platforms, as that would jeopardize new sales.

Nothing prevents new IOS/CME to run on the current generation UC500. The next logical step is that it will be released for active platforms, like 540 and 560, but not for the 520.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Safar Safarov
Level 1
Level 1

Good question. I'm also wondering. Just purchased UC540 and found 30 users license already installed by default.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without taking offense, forget all the technical considerations.

An increase in user capacity is unlikely. Go by the disclosed limits and buy accordingly. I.e. if you anticipate the need for  more user, buy a bigger box.

d16lee
Level 4
Level 4

The rumour I'm hearing up in Canada is that the whole UC500 line is being EOL soon.  These are feisty little boxes.  Too bad if it's true.

Hi,

Did Cisco announce it officially?

BR,

Safar.

Of course not and don't count on that. Sure Cisco can make money plenty of other ways, but I don't think they will give up on a good product that is actually an excellent one, when properly configured and managed.

Don't know if anyone can confirm this but I think that the current UC500 series is based on ISR G1 hardware and CME-development for that platform has stalled at v8.6. The ISR G2 series has already seen CME 9.x. So if my "consipracy theory" ;-) is right the current models will be EOS/EOL soon and new models will arrive.

Hopefully someone can add some input on how the current models relate to the ISR G1/G2 hardware.

Is not that development has stalled, rather is was ceased as announced, because ISR G1 have gone end of sales, and Cisco will not continue releasing new software for discontinued platforms, as that would jeopardize new sales.

Nothing prevents new IOS/CME to run on the current generation UC500. The next logical step is that it will be released for active platforms, like 540 and 560, but not for the 520.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Guys,

Was keeping an eye on this thread, figured it might run of in a tangent as it is a contentious question in many respects, but I enjoyed reading some of the comments on here regardless

The fact of the matter is that the UC-500 series is a sucessfull products, and Cisco has now twice upgraded the levels of user licenses on their products and in some respects done that to coincide with new UC-500 series appliances coming to market.

However I will point out one thing to endorse even further Paolo's comments as he is almost right on the money, is that everything comes down to one particular point that is overlooked in many cases.

And this is the fact that Cisco released a new UC called the BE-3000 which in theory is the next level up from the UC-560, it all comes down what I call "Fit For Purpose" and the BE-3000 is actually a "Fit For Purpose" product in many cases where a UC-560 has been put in place, which I am a fan of the 300 series UC and the methodology employed in it, however John has asked about the UC-540 and to be honest I only ever considered this appliance to be a very small SMB product, and the user licenses on them are not all that expensive, so I am not sure what would motivate Cisco to change the default license value on it as in reality what it has now is actually "Fit for Purpose" in my opinion... But then again we always hope for freebies from time-to-time I know I always ask for them LOL

Have you all had a look at the BE-3000 UC? If not I would encourage you to look at it, unless this is no longer available (Maybe something I should have looked at before posting ) I truly believe it is a better evolution of the UC-500 series.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Have you all had a look at the BE-3000 UC? If not I would encourage you to look at it, unless this is no longer available (Maybe something I should have looked at before posting ) I truly believe it is a better evolution of the UC-500 series.

See the following thread for a (albeit very incomplete) discussion of the UC-3000.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3583327

In no case I would recommend it instead of the UC500, or ISR G2/CME/CUE.

The reason, you get less features and usability, but spend more and have more complication.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paolo,

I had no concerns with the BE-3000 when I was playing with it, again I point out to the "Fit for Purpose" and it has many Pros and very few Cons, I actually would not hesitate recommending it to someone who needs a system at this level, and as I understand it, it now also supports more phones

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *