cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Jabber Client

focusonit
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a relatively simple process to install and active Windows Jabber Clients?

I'm assuming this document isnt related to the BE3k:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html#JABW_TP_C4564CF3_00

I have purchased JAB9-DSK-LIC and adjunct licenses

I've created a new Phone:

For configuration specific to Cisco Jabber clients, make sure to do the following:

• Choose Cisco Unified Services Client as the Phone Type

• Enter a unique name for the Cisco Jabber client in the Identifier field on the Add a Phone window. The Identifier is the name that Cisco Business Edition 3000 assigns to the Cisco Jabber client. The XML device configuration file that the TFTP service sends to the Cisco Jabber client during the registration process is given the name you assign in this field.

I've installed Jabber for Windows:  9.0.4

The client starts up and asks for either a WebEx server or Cisco Unified Presence Server (Both ask for a username and password)

I'm assuming that I select Unified Presence Server and the IP of the BE3000

Where does the username and password come from?

22 Replies 22

sanjsinh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You select Webex, not Unified Presence Server.

The instructions are here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24910

Thanks

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tim,

We're about to publish some more detailed guidance on how to use Jabber clients with the BE3000, but in the mean time please note - as Sanjay states - Jabber desktop clients must be activated with a valid WebEx Connect subscription. 

Once registered with the Connect service, then you will be able to use the UC Integration features of the client covered by the JAB9-DSK-LIC license.  Integration options allow desk phone control from the Jabber client without a BE3000 endpoint license and for the client to be used as a softphone with a license.

Note that Jabber softphone clients for Android and iPhone devices do not require a WebEx Connect account for activation (a separate phone app is available there for IM).

Regards,

Andy

Mario Garcia
Level 3
Level 3

You have to pay for a subscription. WebEx Connect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

we purchased the WebEx connect, but where can we get the "Wbex Server address " according to Sanjay's document.

Billy,

When you fill out the registration form, you should get a link with where to download the client from and server address. This is Step 7 in the GPL Ordering process diagram.

Thanks

Sanjay,

The information is not provided. I have been going back and forth with Webex to obtain the info and have gotten no where.

Get with the WebEx provisioning team and get them to email this info correctly.

Hi Mario

did they provide you PAK number ?

When I ordered the WebEx Connect subscription I received a PAK ID. I then registered it and about 3 days later was able to connect to WebEx Connect for IM only. When trying to follow document to integrate with BE3000, the client does not have the option for Phone Account. I also did not receive a server to connect to either as the instructions outline.

Have you ordered the call control license, JAB9-DSK-K9 & JAB9-DSK-LIC?

Since call control is separate, you need to order it separately for Call control functionality to be enabled on the client.

Thanks

Hi Mario,

When you order the WebEx Connect service, you have to specify that you require the UC Manager integration option, as this is not included by default at this time.  If you don't, it won't appear in the cluster configuration options in the Connect Admin Tool (see image below) and subsequently won't be enabled as an option in the client.

More detail on the ordering process can be found .  Details on configuring the Jabber client for UC integration can be found .

Andy

Hi Mario,

Raise a case with the WebEx Connect team and ask them to add the UC Manager Integration for Webex Connect option to your accound.

Also, while you are at it, ask them to make the Jabber desktop clients (Windows/Mac) available for user download - with this setting in place, users will get a link to download the client in their welcome email from Connect when their account is set up.

You can submit your request using the WebEx Order Enquiry Tool.  You can use the following options.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Billy,

For WebEx Connect, you can just use the "Default Server" option.

More detail from the Jabber Admin Guide:

Login Server

Defines whether  Cisco Jabber for Windows automatically looks up the presence server. Select one of the following options:

Use the default server
Specifies that Cisco Jabber for Windows automatically looks up the presence server.
Use the following server

Enables you to provide connection properties for the presence  server. Select this option  if your presence server does not support  domain name system service records (DNS SRV). For example, Cisco Unified Presence 8.5.2 does not support DNS SRV.

I  tried Default server option but it says invalid username and password.  I believe I need to get username and password form Cisco webex first in order to login to jabber software , and then assoicates with the users on  local BE3k.  I'm still in the process of  tracing up the jabber licenses  from webex team.

Hi Billy,

Thats right, there are basically two sets of credentials - WebEx Connect to sign in to the client and then BE3000 user credentials to configure the UC integration feature.

When you get up and running with Connect, you create a new user which will generate a welcome email for them. This will invite the user to set a password and download the client.

Take a look at the Connect and Windows Desktop guide that I posted yesterday.

Cheers

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: