cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 Fails To Re-Register.

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has several WIP310 connected wirelessly to an accesspoint and then to a internal PBX Tribox V2.6.22. Using Teliax ITSP.

The phones work great for a while but randomly fail to re-register. The only way for it to work again is to power cycle the device.   Customer has tried three diferent access point in order to elimate the possibility of bad wireless connectivity. Has latest firmware 5.0.11

Please advice in any way possible thanks in advance.
233 Replies 233

vcroitoru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

After a few weeks of testing (lots of calls during the holidays) I have the following feedback:

- re-registering issue seems to be solved, I never see the "trying to re-register" message

- wifi signal still drops quite often. It is aleatory, and seems to get worse as the phone is further from the router (even being right next to the router is not fool proof)

Therefore, the phone is still hardly useful. On any call, I expect it to cut off every few minutes.

Anyone else have feedback?

Vlad

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for testing the firmware and sharing with the community. I'm interested to read that for you, re-registration issues appear to be better.

What call control are you using? Asterisk, trixbox, SPA9000, something else?

With respect to calls being dropped. I've not heard much about this issue. I use 3 WIP310s in my environment and have not experienced call drops like you report.

If you're able, it would be great to view the logs from the SIP proxy and from the WIP310. It would be even better if you could capture a Wireshark trace between your wireless access point and the SIP proxy. Perhaps this information would yield clues as to the root cause of the problem.

Do you have multiple wireless clients? Are they all 802.11G or are some 802.11N or 802.11B?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

I am in a home environment, as follows:

- WAG54G2 router (also used a Netgear WGR614 router)

- one WIP310, 3 other laptops on 802.11G

- internet provider is EOLO (in Italy)

- phone is configured to register to 12voip.com (sip.12voip.com) - no other call control

I don't have any logging configured, if you can help me set this up then I will give it a try.

Also, it seems that other people on this forum mentioned wifi signal dropping. This has always been an issue for me, the other devices don't ever drop signal, while the phone drops with other routers also.

Regards,

Vlad

Hi Vlad,

I'll share your post with Product Management and Engineering. I'm also in a home environment, but houses in the USA are made out of wood and drywall (sheetrock) so that may be why I don't experience WiFi issues.

This document describes configuring logging: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9934

I've attached the slogsrv utility for you. You can use any syslog server.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

I have installed the slogsrv and have 2 files to share with you. In both cases, I made a call and waited until it cut off (both times it happened within 2 minutes, as I walked a bit further away from the router (no more than 5m) and the wifi connection dropped. In the second file, I also turned on the -t parameter. At the 22:35:52 mark, the call interrupts, but nothing abnormal shows in the logs.

I also don't think the Italian marble is an issue here, since all other wifi devices work fine across multiple walls. Unless the WIP310 has a particular sensitivity?

Regards,

Vlad

Thanks Vlad,

I've notified Engineering, Product Management, and Support Escalation.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

reputablesquid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

We have two WIP310's on our system and both are running the 5.0.12(12141857) firmware.  As the others have mentioned, the phones drop calls and often fail to ring on incoming calls.  Our environment is wood frame / drywall setting with no metal.  The phones are connected to the network via a Westell UltraLine Series3 and are never more than 20 feet from the access point.  They have also been connected via and Airport Extreme and Proxim AP4000.  We are running Trixbox v 2.6.2.2.

The latest firmware update seemed to prevent the phones from displaying the Fail to Register error, but they are unusable due to the dropped call condition and general flakiness.

I have mentioned in previous posts and think that it bears mentioning again; the phones seem to have a very unstable wireless connectivity problem.  Before writing this post, I attempted to run nmap and find my two phones on the network.  One of the two extensions didn't even respond to the nmap sweep; the second phone was identified from its local interface and eventually did start to answer pings.  The phones have very high letancy to pings for a lightly loaded small LAN:

PING 10.145.37.178 (10.145.37.178): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=198.327 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=118.028 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=30.335 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=564.647 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=176.807 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=99.218 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=24.479 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=246.439 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=163.706 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=82.952 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=620.781 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=540.439 ms

64 bytes from 10.145.37.178: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=154.197 ms

Additionally, both phones will simply power off in the middle of a call on a fully charged battery.  We have made every effort to make sure that the power button is not being pressed.  If you leave the phones on the table, away from the cradle, they will also power off on their own.
We have a Linksys RTP300 connected and registered to the same setup and it works flawlessly.
Let me know what information I can gather that maybe of use.
Best,
Todd

As I reported previously, my WIP310 exhibits the same "drop outs" as others have been reporting for months. May be CISCO can replace them with something that works before the warranty run out.

Dimitrios

Hi Dimitrios,

I have also shared your post with Engineering, Product Management, and Support Escalation.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi All,

I have a customer which is experiencing a very similar problem. Every now and again the WIP310s will drop a call, however the phone will re-register. The time period in which this happens seems to be random. It can be fine for a while even a day or so, but then it will go through a spate of dropping the several times.

The customer has the following equipment:

10 x WIP310-G2

1 x Cisco AIR-WLC2112-K9

9 x Cisco AIR-LAP1252AG-E-K9

1 x Cisco 2821 Router with Call Manager Express 7.1 and Unity Express 3.1

I have one of the WIP310 upgraded to the alpha firmware suggested earlier in this thread, the rest of the WIP310s are running firmware version 5.0.11. I will wait and see if this firmware upgrade makes any difference to the problems being experienced.

I also have a Cisco 7921 WiFi SCCP handset on test in the same network to eliminate WiFi coverage and interference as a cause of the drops. The phone has been in place for the past 5 days without experiencing any drops. So it is looking more and more likely to be the WIP310 handsets.

Hi Todd,

I've shared your post with Engineering, Product Management, and Support Escalation.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

Our phones also get stuck on the "Acquiring Network" screen.  The phone shown in the attached has been cradled since we got it and is no more than four paces from the access point.

--Todd

Hi Todd,

Has the phone ever successfully associated with the WAP?

I've only seen this type of message when the phone cannot successfully associate with the WAP and acquire a dynamic IP address.

Consider trying any/all of the following:

• verifying that the DHCP server has available IP addresses in its scope
  • verifying that the DHCP server does not have security in place that may interfere [example MAC address blocking]
  • rebooting the WAP
  • trying a different WAP

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Together

I'm new on this thread because we had the same problem with the first WIP310. After some calls with the support peoples, we send the phone back last october or november. Yesterday, we become it back from Cisco (nice delay, thank you...). Anyway, we use asterisk 1.4.19.1 on a CentOS5 System and have a lot of different phones on it (snom, AVM Fritz! Boxes, twinkle, x-lite etc.), no problems with any of them. Yesterday, when we become the WIP310 (FW 5.0.11(10301355)) phone back, i see, that we have the same problem like before, then i spend 30min to try to fix the problem. In the console i found this message:

-- Registered SIP '7227-wlan-cisco1' at 192.168.2.33 port 5060 expires 1200

But on the phone (Admin/ext1/Register Expires is a value of 3600 as default). I was suprised about this difference and i take a look in my sip.conf and found this entry in the [general] Section:  maxexpirey=1200. So all my alarm bells goes up. If the phone try to register an expire of 3600, but only 1200 are allowed, hmmm, what happens?

Now, i change the value in the sip.conf to 4800 (and the phone 3600) and i will test it today, but i'm nearly sure that i solve this issue (hope hope hope)

The console reports now:

-- Registered SIP '7227-wlan-cisco1' at 192.168.2.33 port 5060 expires 3600

And it make sense for me.

Maybe it is very interesting, what value is set in the other asterisk and trixboxes... (on the CLI: "sip show settings" then it is under "Reg. max duration")

For the WLAN we use a Fritz! Box, but with the first phone we also try some (white and blue) Netgear AP's and Linksys.

We allways get these messages in the asterisk console and only with the WIP310:

[Jan  8 05:58:09] NOTICE[19707]: chan_sip.c:12599 handle_response_peerpoke: Peer '7227-wlan-cisco1' is now Lagged. (2054ms / 2000ms)
[Jan  8 05:58:45] NOTICE[19707]: chan_sip.c:12599 handle_response_peerpoke: Peer '7227-wlan-cisco1' is now Reachable. (1057ms / 2000ms)

I pushed the "qualify" parameter in the sip.conf up from 2000 to 5000 (ms) and now, it's okay, but is this a good solution??? The ping response from the WIP310 is realy a disaster.

On the Fritz! AP i have a 100% good signal and 54MBit/s.

ivo

I am also experiencing many occasions where the phone will go into trying to register, and calls dropping after 10 - 15 minutes.

I have set the register expires to 60 -- I needed to do this on my SNOM phones in order to get them to wprk, with no help.

Moreover, the documentation and several cisco/kinlsys reference software and help available at www.linksys.com/wip310, which does not exist.

Also, I am unable ro register my wip310 as it is not in the dropdown lists of products (wip300 & wip320 is)

Final Issue, on a public WiFi, I open have to click "Accept" on a browser in order to connect. Is there any way to do this on the WIP310?

Very frustrating.