cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 Fails To Re-Register.

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has several WIP310 connected wirelessly to an accesspoint and then to a internal PBX Tribox V2.6.22. Using Teliax ITSP.

The phones work great for a while but randomly fail to re-register. The only way for it to work again is to power cycle the device.   Customer has tried three diferent access point in order to elimate the possibility of bad wireless connectivity. Has latest firmware 5.0.11

Please advice in any way possible thanks in advance.
233 Replies 233

And you have exactly the same config as the one I sent ?? (maybe another setting is causing the problem) Are there other differences on units? like different revisions ?

*EDIT*

I just checked under my phone.. the unit is a WIP310v2.. what rev is the one your using Patrick? v1 or v2?

Alex,

Thanks for your help and the two trixbox accounts that you provided.

The second phone [ext 18] that I registered has lost registration... 

I'm now going to add a sniffer to the network so that I can capture traces in addition to the phone's debug output.

If convenient, please leave both trixbox accounts active.

The WIP310 that does not lose registration is WIP310v2.

The WIP310 that lost registration is an Engineering Sample and does not have a version number.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Dont worry my pbx is up 24/7... ill stop all network traffic so you wont have any lag/latency spikes that would cause any interferance on the testing.... at least you expereienced now what the rest of us are with these units :)

Alex & Community,

I've passed on the test accounts to Escalation Engineering for testing.

I have been able to replicate the loss of registration using Alex's test accounts with the following environments on my side:

• WIP310 > WRV200 > cable modem >> Internet

and

• WIP310 > WAP4400N > SRW224G4P > WRV200 > cable modem >> Internet

I've built my own trixbox CE 2.8.0.1 server and have registered SPA525G, SPA962, SPA942, SPA922, SPA901, and 2 x WIP310s to it. Hopefully I'll be able replicate the loss of registration in my lab too.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Update for the community:

My trixbox lab environment has been working without problem since I put it together last night/this morning.

Wireless phones registered are: 2 WIP310 and 1 SPA525G IP phone running wireless mode

Wired phones registered are: SPA962, SPA942, SPA922, SPA901

All phones have maintained registration for over five hours.

WIP310 phones are lying on their back and running off of battery.

I've placed my WAP next to a UPS and between two rack-mount devices in order to attenuate the WiFi signal down to 1 out of 4 bars as reported by the WIP310.

Here's the config process I used:

1. Working on trixbox HTML GUI:

PBX settings > Admin > Basic > Extensions > Add an Extension > Generic SIP Device:

a. User Extension: 51

b. Display Name: wip51

c. Secret: 51

d. Submit

e. Apply Configuration Changes

2. Factory reset WIP310 phone [not WiFi]

3. Configure WIP310 to register to trixbox:

http:///admin/

a. Phone tab > General > Station Name: wip51

b. Ext 1 tab > Proxy and Registration > Proxy > 192.168.2.15   [comment: IP_Address_of_trixbox]

c. Ext 1 tab Subscriber Information >

i.   Display Name: WIP51

ii.  User ID: 51

iii. Password: 51

iv. Auth ID: 51

v. Use Auth ID: yes

d. Click Submit All Changes

4. Make calls once phone has rebooted and registered to the trixbox server.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Community update:

Turns out that Alex is using trixbox 2.6. I built and tested on trixbox 2.8.

Just to be sure, I've put together a 2.6 trixbox system and have moved all my phones [WIP310, SPA525G, SPA962, SPA942, SPA922, SPA901] to it.

The WIP310 and SPA525G are connected using WiFi.

The phones have remained registered without problem for the last 5 hours, 42 minutes.

In addition, Alex provided me with another test account on his trixbox system to which I've registered another WIP310. This phone lost registration once.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

I'll install  trixbox 2.8 on a VMWare Instance and try it with my phone and I'll post back my results...

*UPDATE*

Well it seems it does experience the same probs even on trixbox 2.8 (at least on my unit). I reseted the config to defaults, and reconfigured as you stated you did. Same on the trixbox install, did a clean install, and I just added the extension for the wip310

Hi Alex,

I notice that the trixbox server is not responding to register requests. Engineering is wanting to perform some tests. Would it be possible to make the server available again please?

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Sorry had a hardware issue with the machine, but its up and running now...

Greetings,

Yikes!!, this trully was a worth while posting issue, thanks for the vast amount of information posted here, over five thousand views hah! very informative. Thank you all.

Juan

We accept product field tests units for evaluations as gratifications for bringing all this info to help debug the cause/problem

Was a long debugging session.. and thanks to Patrick now the issue is escalated to engeeniers and other Cisco staff  :)

Any finding yet?? Was it reproduced on the engeenering lab for debuging???

Hi Alex,

The issue has been replicated in Development Engineering. Last I heard they were working at further understanding the issue.

I've requested an update and will share once I receive it.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Patrick,

If you are "not in support, or in sales" - which  departmenent do you work for?

How can I or others escalate this issue?  I have spent over $200 on a phone that doesn't work, I am about to use my credit card to seek compensation as spoiled goods.

I'd rather work with Cisco to get this fixed - but I'm starting to loose patience.

For the record the common problems reflects the units ability to register on the wireless network.

Below is my units serial number ACC13020160, if the others can share their units serial numbers - we can rule out a common hardware fault.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Peter,

I'm a technical marketing engineer [TME] in Cisco. I work with SPA devices, WIP IP phones, and WRP400s.

The support community is supported by volunteers. We're not tasked with working the support community. :-)

The best way to log the issue officially and then escalate is via Cisco's official support channels at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Having said the above, I do have contact with product managers, product engineers, and engineering, so I can usually help with most issues, except those that revolve around money. :-)

The WIP310 that I'm using without problem [so far] is:

• serial: WP720H600011
  • model no: WIP310 v2 [reported from label behind battery]

Regards,

Patrick

-----------