cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless AP Design Assistance

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

We are currently quoting a UC500 system for a garden center that would like to utilize the Cisco wireless phones outside.

Our initial examination leads us to belive to we may need to install 3 outdoor wireless AP's. I have a couple questions however about the propper way to design and implement this solution:

1. I noticed that most of the UC500 documentation lists the AP-521 as the access point to use. Is this the only model AP that CCA/UC520 can operate with?
  2. Is there an outdoor version of the is AP?
  3. If answers 1&2 are no, can I just choose any outdoor Cisco AP and use CCA to configure and control the settings?
  4. I have noticed that a UC500 has the ability to control just 2 AP's through CCA. What needs to be done in order to use 3 AP's in our site? Do we need to add a mobility controller unit designed for the UC series?

Thank you for the help.

-Brian

www.jaydien.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian,

Any QOS will be a function of the AP you select and will need to be configured on that AP.

Regards,

Douglas Smith

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We dont offer outdoor APs in the SBCS Mobility Express solution.
You can actually have up to 10 Standalone AP521s in SBCS (without a controller) for Data Only support, but your not going to have a good experience with 7921 voice roaming from AP to AP this way, and should use a WLC526 Controller.You can have up to 12 AP521s controlled by a WLC526 and up to 2 WLC526s (hence 24 APs) in a single SBCS deployment, if you are running the latest code (that would be 5.x.x on WLC).

So is wireless roaming capability on available when using a mobility controller?

Although CCA cannot configure the 1240AG AP, can the mobility controller use it or does the mobility controller have the same product limitations as the CCA tool has.

Lastly, what is the best way to do a apropper wireless survey to determine propper number of access points for a SBCS solutions? The reason I ask is that I;ve read that for roaming capabilities you should havbe 20% overlap. Is there a Cisco tool that aids in determining this?

Thanks.

-Brian

Brian,

As Steve has pointed out the only SBCS supported configuration is the WLC526 with AP521s however these are not outdoor APs.

The 1242 unit is not part off the SBCS solution and will not work with CCA or the WLC526. The limitations and design details for these are different and you will need to investigate the limitations of the 1242.

Regards,

Douglas Smith

OK great. Thanks for the info.

One last question. I noticed in one of the AP setup guides that the AP-521 has a setting for voice quality.? Sorry I don't recall the exact setting, but it was a radio button I believe on one of the GUI pages.

If we were to implement an outdoor AP not supported by CCA, are we still going to recieve the QoS for voice, etc.. Or is it safe to assume that any device that is part of the voice VLAN will have the nessesary QoS.

Thanks.

-Brian

Brian,

Any QOS will be a function of the AP you select and will need to be configured on that AP.

Regards,

Douglas Smith

Thanks.

-Brian

Douglas Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Brian,

If your needs must include an outdoor AP one such as the Cisco 1242 the AP can be used however this will not be supported by CCA..

The design guides for 1242 are at the link below please verify this will work for your needs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_implementation_design_guides_list.html

You will need to access the APs native GUI to configure the 1242s.

The Quick start guide for native GUI access can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1240/quick/guide/ap1240qs.html

Regards,

Douglas Smith

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For Fast Secure Roaming and seamless Mobility of the Wireless VoIP phones WLC has to be deployed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: