cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1801 router died, got startup-config, copy client VPN settings to new 897 ?

bristolmaid
Level 1
Level 1

We've recently suffered a power spike during a storm, a UPS was not up to the job of protecting our elderly 1801 router and it got fried (I'll add that I did not personally spec or purchase the UPS). A new 897 has been purchased and setup by myself, and I've got everything up and running other than the client VPN that was running on the previous 1801.

I've a copy of the startup-config from the 1801, can I directly copy elements of it into the config of the 897 to get my client VPN up and running again ?.

I've many users in the field so as much as possible I want them to carry on using the Cicsco VPN Client as is with the current profile within it.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Frank DeNofa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

bristolmaid,

Sorry for your loss, RIP 1801.

You should definitely be able to copy over the majority of the configuration. If you have a few minutes to spend on it, I would suggest migrating over the the Virtual-Template based configuration rather than the legacy crypto map config: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/ezvpn/118240-config-ezvpn-00.html#anc10

That said, if you're already using VTIs you should be in good shape.

HTH,

Frank

Definitely RIP 1801, went before its time due to a cheap Mickey Mouse UPS.

I'm not great with the CLI so was hoping that I could use the desktop CCP and it's 'Configuration Editor' to assemble a Frankenstein config file using my new config on the 897 and adding in the element from the saved config of the 1801. A safe thing to do if I tread carefully and take multiple backups ?

I'm afraid you've lost me with the acronym 'VTI' ?.

Thanks.

bristolmaid
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at my dead routers config I see the line...

certificate self-signed 01 nvram:IOS-Sel-Sig#1.cer

... so if I want to try and copy my old config to my new 897 router do I somehow need to try and get this off of the old 1801 if at all possible ?

If I can do this do I then need to start from scratch and then have to setup the VPN clients again ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: