cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Compact Flash to a Cisco ASA 5520

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to install a 512 MB Cisco COmpact Flash for an ASA 5520.  We have inserted the compact flash but when we do a DIR, it does not show.  even as an unformatted device. 

What do we need to do to make this a usable CF?  Do I just need to reload the ASA or do I need to format the CF.  It has been inserted into the slot in the back of the ASA 5520 and we have ensured that is had been seated properly.

Thank you

Dwane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the Cisco FAQ article:

Can I hot-swap the flash drive? For example, is it possible to change the flash drive when Cisco ASA is powered ON and running?

It is always recommended that you turn off the Cisco ASA while you insert the flash drive. This disables all the running processes and allows the ASA to recognize the flash from the boot process.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the Cisco FAQ article:

Can I hot-swap the flash drive? For example, is it possible to change the flash drive when Cisco ASA is powered ON and running?

It is always recommended that you turn off the Cisco ASA while you insert the flash drive. This disables all the running processes and allows the ASA to recognize the flash from the boot process.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am attempting to install a 512 MB Cisco COmpact Flash for an ASA 5520.  We have inserted the compact flash but when we do a DIR, it does not show.  even as an unformatted device.

What brand is this CF?

If it ain't a Cisco-branded CF then this could be an issue because NOT ALL compact flash are supported.

If you need to format the CF then it has to be FAT16 standard or it won't work or you can use the ASA to format the CF.

It is a Cisco CF ordered from Cisco. ASA5500-CF-512MB=

Stick it into the ASA and format it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: