Views
Helpful
Replies

Amazon EC2 Virtual Private Cloud and Cisco ASA 5520

ZooplaPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

I am currently trying to create a site-to-site VPN with an Amazon EC2 Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).  When creating the VPC with Amazon you enter all your connectivity details and it generates a Cisco IOS config file which is great.  I am using a Cisco ASA 5520 (software version 7.2(2)) with ASDM 5.2 (3).

The problem occurs when I try to either load the config that Amazon has supplied (TFTP) or enter it manually.  I get invalid input errors.  The config generated by Amazon is attached (please note certain parts have been hashed out for security, but I am working from a config with all the correct details).

I'm not sure if I'm doing things wrong or whether the ASA doesn't support the functionality required but I'm a bit stuck.  I know my way around the ASDM quite well but I'm a little rusty when it comes to the IOS.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul.

1 Reply 1

mulatif
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

The config generated is for an IOS Router and that is why it won't work "as it is" on the ASA.

The router config involves VRF, BGP , GRE and none of these are supported on the ASA.

ASA can setup a regular Lan-2-Lan tunnel but you will need to check with Amazon, if they support it.

Thanks,

Naman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: