Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect and Traditional VPN Client

jhayes82687
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of preparing to upgrade our ASA to software 8.x to add support for the Anyconnect client, as we are looking to provide VPN connectivity for Win7 and 64 bit computers.

I have two questions.

1. I want to know if we will still be able to use the existing VPN client (v4) to connect or if that will have to be completely replaced by Anyconnect?

2. Is Anyconnect client software or is it a web-based connection? (i.e; user navigates to IP or vpn.domain.com and can login) If it is web-based... what determines the login?

Thank you for your help!

Jon

3 Replies 3

busterswt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

>> 1. I want to know if we will still be able to use the existing VPN client (v4) to connect or if that will have to be completely replaced by Anyconnect?

SSL VPN and IPsec VPN can co-exist in the same configuration, but AnyConnect is a separate client from the traditional IPsec VPN client and is compatible with 64-bit systems (as is the new 5.0.7 beta IPsec client).

>> 2. Is Anyconnect client software or is it a web-based connection? (i.e; user navigates to IP or vpn.domain.com and can login) If it is web-based... what determines the login?

AnyConnect is a software client that can be pushed to the workstation by the net device or installed manually. You can login one of two ways: by navigating the to IP address of the net device and logging through the web portal, or by connecting via the installed client software. The user credentials can be obtained through different means, ie. local auth, LDAP, TACACS, etc. The group policy of individual user attributed determine which users are capable of using SSL VPN and/or IPsec VPN.

My only experience with configuring AnyConnect is with ASA hardware and is limited. Someone with more experience might chime in with other info.

Hope this helps!

James

James,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. You have answered my questions very well, and cleared up some uncertainties I had reading other documentation.

Jon

More than glad to do it when I can!

Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: