Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect error message "A new network interface has been detected."

yuksel92
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to DART logs and troubleshooting them. We had a problem with one of our customers who is coming us trough a Client to Site VPN connection via Anyconnect client. Their VPN connection was terminated, when i check the Anyconnect event logs at the certain time the problem happened, i see some sort of logs like "A new network interface has been detected."(Information), then a log with Warning level "Reconfigure reason code 15:New network interface." and then a log "The entire VPN connection is being reconfigured."(Information) What can cause this logs and what can be the issue at the client side?

3 Replies 3

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any Chance that the user moved from Wireless to Wired or added a new network adapter device? That's what the message usually means. This should not cause a disconnect, but if the routing table changes to affect VPN connection, it is possible. AnyConnect has network interface detection whenever a new network interface comes up on the device. 

Having the same issue on multiple laptops. Same reason 15. Any help will be appreciated. 

Garry Cross
Level 1
Level 1

I also am curious of this behavior. Often when I connect I get several reconnecting messages.

I have a suspicion it is to do with the wifi adapter. I am using a wired connection.

I get the reconnecting message twice.

The anyconnect.txt from the DART package reveals the following.

VPN state:Connected

A new network interface has been detected

VPN state:Reconnecting

A network interface address has gone down.

A new network interface has been detected

VPN state:Reconnecting

Inspecting the other messages there, reveals that there are 4 ipv6 addresses associated with my "Wi-Fi" adapter.

After the message about a network interface address has gone down, that 2 of 4 ipv6 addresses are not listed on the "Wi-Fi" adapter.

After the second new net interface address has been detected there are 4 ipv6 addresses listed again, one of which is different than the original 4.

After that the connection remains stable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: