cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect upgrade, Web Deploy, ActiveX

Rick_Kendall
Level 1
Level 1

Attempting to upgrade from ASA 8.3.2, ASDM 6.3.4, AnyConnect 2.5.1 to ASA 8.4(4)1, ASDM 6.4(9) and AnyConnect 3.1.00495 using ASA 5505.  Client is Windows XP SP3 w/ IE7.  Can log into the ASA web portal and starts to install via ActiveX.  I get past the IE7 message bar to authorize installing the ActiveX control.  I briefly see a message that says "ActiveX could not be launched" (I think. It is very fast) and then the install hangs w/ the message in the web connect dialog about the IE7 message bar.  If I let the timer expire, the java install also fails.  If I download the installer via the web portal, and install AnyConnect via the downloaded installer, everything works fine.  Same problem w/ ASA  9.1.1, ASDM 7.1(1) and AnyConnect 3.1.02026.  I have added the web page address to the trusted zone, and checked all the zones for permissions to install ActiveX controls, etc.  Worked w/ the older/original software when I remove the kill bit for Microsoft KB2736233.  Have not installed any custom AnyConnect profile to use transforms.  I did see in the release notes some information on NOINSTALLACTIVEX=0, but I think this applies to the pre-install package only.  Any help w/ diagnising ActiveX problem appreciated.  Thanks, Rick.

3 Replies 3

noelmulryan
Level 1
Level 1

Never got a response from the forum.  Only using AnyConnect, no secure desktop.  Could not fix.  I suspect the problem is caused by applying patches that limit Active X / Internet Security Options.  We have a relatively few number of clients, so we chose to deploy the .msi installer via CD, and have disabled Web deploy on the device.

Please reply if / when you find a fix.

Thanks for asking.

stthomas03
Level 1
Level 1

I was on a call with Cisco tech support and I found out that the ASA does not support IE 11 according to tech support.  He was using firefox and was able to VPN, so I downloaded firefox and it did not work, so I asked what version of Java he was using. He was using 6.23 and I was using 7.51. So I went to a test computer that still has IE 8 and java 7.51, and to my suprise, I was able to get VPN to work.

I spoke with one of my customer who has to use our VPN about using downgrading to previous version of IE.  His tech support said it was not possible, so he tried a plug in for chrome and firefox called IE-Tab.  It worked great because it allows you to use an IE tab in a previous version of IE. All my customer are happy, but they want Cisco to solve the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: