Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 and Windows Azure Site-to-Site VPN

Admin_3Fifty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a site-to-site VPN connection between my ASA 5505 (ASA 9.1(4) and ASDM 7.1(3)) and Windows Azure. For the configuration of the connection Microsoft supplies a configuration script (see below, IP and shared key removed) which sets up all the connection and encryption settings.

! Microsoft Corporation

! Windows Azure Virtual Network

! This configuration template applies to Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances running ASA Software 8.3.

! It configures an IPSec VPN tunnel connecting your on-premise VPN device with the Azure gateway.

! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! ACL and NAT rules

!

! Proper ACL and NAT rules are needed for permitting cross-premise network traffic.

! You should also allow inbound UDP/ESP traffic for the interface which will be used for the IPSec tunnel.

object-group network azure-networks

network-object 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

exit

object-group network onprem-networks

network-object 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0

exit

access-list azure-vpn-acl extended permit ip object-group onprem-networks object-group azure-networks

nat (inside,outside) source static onprem-networks onprem-networks destination static azure-networks azure-networks

! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! Internet Key Exchange (IKE) configuration

!

! This section specifies the authentication, encryption, hashing, Diffie-Hellman, and lifetime parameters for the Phase

! 1 negotiation and the main mode security association. We have picked an arbitrary policy # "10" as an example. If

! that happens to conflict with an existing policy, you may choose to use a different policy #.

crypto isakmp enable outside

crypto isakmp policy 10

authentication pre-share

encryption aes-256

hash sha

group 2

lifetime 28800

exit

! IPSec configuration

!

! This section specifies encryption, authentication, and lifetime properties for the Phase 2 negotiation and the quick

! mode security association.

crypto ipsec transform-set azure-ipsec-proposal-set esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac

crypto ipsec security-association lifetime seconds 3600

crypto ipsec security-association lifetime kilobytes 102400000

! Crypto map configuration

!

! This section defines a crypto map that binds the cross-premise network traffic to the

! IPSec transform set and remote peer. We have picked an arbitrary ID # "10" as an example. If

! that happens to conflict with an existing crypto map, you may choose to use a different ID #.

crypto map azure-crypto-map 10 match address azure-vpn-acl

crypto map azure-crypto-map 10 set peer 1.1.1.1

crypto map azure-crypto-map 10 set transform-set azure-ipsec-proposal-set

crypto map azure-crypto-map interface outside

! Tunnel configuration

!

! This section defines an IPSec site-to-site tunnel connecting to the Azure gateway and specifies the pre-shared key

! value used for Phase 1 authentication. 

tunnel-group 1.1.1.1 type ipsec-l2l

tunnel-group 1.1.1.1 ipsec-attributes

pre-shared-key abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456

exit

! TCPMSS clamping

!

! Adjust the TCPMSS value properly to avoid fragmentation

sysopt connection tcpmss 1350

exit

I ran this script succesfully and I checked the settings in ASDM. However I keep getting the error that UDP 500 is blocked:

Deny inbound UDP from 1.1.1.1/500 to 2.2.2.2/500 on interface outside

I'm quite new to Cisco firewalls and am looking for a fairly dummy proof way to allow the different protocol settings required (isakmp, NAT-T, L2TP, ESP) from the Azure gateway (1.1.1.1) to my outside ip address (2.2.2.2).

Any help would be appreciated!

2 Replies 2

game123
Level 1
Level 1

Please try to deploy ACL inbound and outbound

and as per your deny message, permit it from internal network to external network

and vice versa.

The error is self-explanatory.

Hello,

this is what I am getting after running Packet Tracer on Phase 5:

Phase: 5

Type: VPN

Subtype: ipsec-tunnel-flow

Result: DROP

Config:

Additional Information:

Forward Flow based lookup yields rule:

in  id=0xae2cbd68, priority=70, domain=ipsec-tunnel-flow, deny=false

hits=13, user_data=0x0, cs_id=0xadf3d260, reverse, flags=0x0, protocol=0

src ip/id=10.10.8.0, mask=255.255.252.0, port=0, tag=0

dst ip/id=10.20.0.0, mask=255.255.0.0, port=0, tag=0, dscp=0x0

input_ifc=Cust-OutSell, output_ifc=any

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: