cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5540 Certificate Problem

rutledgec
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization has two 5540's in an Active/Standby config.  Recently, I've tried to setup SSL VPN and am having some issues with the certificates and trustpoints.

The steps I took in ASDM were:

1.  Imported the Thawte Primary and Secondary CA certificates.

2.  Generated a new Private Key (2048)

3.  Generated a CSR

4.  Saved the config

I sent the CSR off and received the certificate.  I went to import it, and the CSR was missing.  I also noticed the Primary and Secondary CA certs were gone too.  However, the Trustpoints were still in the config with no certs attached.  See below:

crypto ca trustpoint ThawtePrimaryCA
enrollment terminal
crl configure
crypto ca trustpoint ThawteSecondaryCA
enrollment terminal
crl configure

crypto ca trustpoint Thawte_VPN_SSL
enrollment terminal
fqdn xxx.xxx.com

subject-name CN=xxx.xxx.com,OU=Organizational Unit,O=Organization,C=US,St=State,L=City
keypair ssl-vpn-key
crl configure

I first thought I had just forgot to save the config or something like that.

I decided to try once more.  I imported the two CA certs and generated a new CSR and saved the config.  I answered the CSR and it seemed to work.  I could visit https://xxx.xxx.com and did not receive a certificate error.

A week or so later, I noticed that I was receiving certificate errors and I took a look.  Sure enough, the Primary and Secondary CA certs were gone from ASDM and the config look liked the config above.

I also noticed that an AnyConnect image I had loaded into flash was gone.

I'm running:

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(4)32
Device Manager Version 6.1(5)57

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

andamani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

Could you please check for "sh cry ca cert" and check if the certificates were present on the ASA.

hope this helps.

regards,
Anisha

P.S.: please mark this post as answered if you feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

When I issue that command I only see the certificate that I answered the CSR with.  I don't see the Primary and Secondary Thawte certificates that I originally imported.

hmm.. that means that the cert is not present. can you try importing the certs again and check with the command?

hope this helps.

regards,
Anisha

P.S.: please mark this post as answered if  you feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Yea, I did try that the first time it happened.  Now I've got two sets of trustpoints.  See the output of 'sh crypto ca trustpoints'.  The first time, I named the Trustpoints, the second time, I went with defaults.

Trustpoint ThawtePrimaryCA:
    Not authenticated.

Trustpoint ThawteSecondaryCA:
    Not authenticated.

Trustpoint Thawte_VPN_SSL:
    Not authenticated.

Trustpoint ASDM_TrustPoint0:
    Not authenticated.

Trustpoint ASDM_TrustPoint1:
    Not authenticated.

Trustpoint ASDM_TrustPoint2:
    Not authenticated.

I had the same problem that a trustpoint ended up being Not authenticated if done through the ASDM.

So I decided to do it through CLI.

• Create the trustpoint with enrollment through terminal.
  • Enroll through terminal and copy the csr-output in a text-file.
  • With the CSR-text-file get the certificate from your CA - make sure it's pem-formated.
  • Authenticate the trustpoint through terminal.

Kind Regards