Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA high availability question

Thomas McLean
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We have a high availability pair of ASA 5510's in Data Centre where we have configured remote access to allow users log in via SSL VPN, now we want to add further security to our environment we are adding endpoint assessment licenses...the question I have would I need two sets of the license ASA-ADV-END-SEC ?

I learned the hardway before with ASA SSL VPN licenses breaking other failover pair as it needed identical licenses on both units!

Could anyone confirm if I will need 2 seperate license sets to keep my firewalls in a HA pair?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas.

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you need to purchase exactly the same license on both ASA if you are running failover, and running ASA version 8.2 and below.

However if you are running ASA version 8.3 and above, no, you do not need to purchase 2 license for ASA running in Active/Standby failover. You can just purchase 1 on the Primary firewall, and it will work when it fails over.

Here is more information on licensing on version 8.3 and above for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/license_standalone/license_management/license.html

If you decide to upgrade to version 8.3 or above, please check the memory requirement as well as all the new features (especially NAT that has completely change from version 8.3 onwards).

Hope this helps.