Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA out interface ip mask /32

fortis123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Working on configuring ASA , where the ISP assigned outside IP:20.20.20.67/32 and gateway: 20.20.20.69.

This ASA will act as regular NAT device and L2L tunnel to another location.

My question is /32 on outside is good enough tfor doing this config.

Please review and suggest.

Thank you

MS

3 Replies 3

fortis123
Level 1
Level 1

I just tried myself.. it is not accepted on ASA5510 interface. Saying 'bad Mask'.

Thank you

MS

I suggest you double check with your ISP.

The info you have doesn't make sense.

A 32 bits subnet is a one address subnet , meaning a single host. But your outside interface needs to be in the same subnet than your default gateway. The smallest subnet possible here would be a /30 subnet, wich give 4 addresses (2 usable) .

But .67 and .69 are not part of the same /30 subnet. And .67 would be a broadcast address in a /30 ( 64-65-66-67).

So .67 and .69 can only be part of at least a /29 subnet ( 64-65-66-67-68-69-70)

But you have to verify thisa with your ISP because both devices needs to be configure with the same subnet.

/32 mask does not make any sense.

I agree that the mask ideally should be the same in both ends, but they don't need to. The ASA does not use the broadcast address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: