cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA reboot

jm.virtual01
Level 1
Level 1

In my network, i have ASA 5510 in pair, Active  and stand by. I want to  reboot this firewall without network downtime. Can someone suggest the process ?

I know about the force failover but want to make sure for that?

Can some one suggest step by sep process for this reboot process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your failover is working correctly (and you have configured it as stateful failover) then the VPNs will keep working.
Check the output of "show failover" if everything is fine there.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

First: Why do you want to reboot? Is it for updating software?

In general:

1. On the active ASA: Do a "failover reload-standby". This will reload the standby unit. Wait for the standby ASA to come back.
  2. Still on the active ASA: While there is no important communication, do a "no failover active". The other unit will take over the active role. You will lose the connectivity to your SSH-session here.
  3. Login again to the active ASA (which is the other ASA now) and also do a "failover reload-standby". Both ASAs are now reloaded.

During this process, what happen with active VPN session ? Will they be terminated or not ?

If your failover is working correctly (and you have configured it as stateful failover) then the VPNs will keep working.
Check the output of "show failover" if everything is fine there.

Hi Karsten,

I have a quick question: for an Active-Active scenario how can I simply reboot both units without concern for network impact?
With Cisco stacking switches I can either reboot the stack or just one member of the stack. What about ASAs?

Thanks!

Hi Florin,

The trick with active-active failover scenario is to make both failover groups active on the primary or secondary unit.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/111867-asa-failover-upgrade.html#Actact

HTH

Bogdan

I am mixing things here: ASA failover technology is distinct to stacking technology.
I did as Bogdan mentioned and rebooted one member at a time.