cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Site to Site VPN (only comes up with interesting traffic)

nelson-rick
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to get an ASA to ASA site to site VPN besides interesting traffic?  I need to keep this tunnel regardless of traffic is there anyway to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, no such feature has been developed on the ASAs. So you will have to trick the ASA by using a host located in the "interesting" part of the network to constantly generate interesting traffic. Here are a few suggestions:

- Utilize IP SLA on a Cisco device

- Perform TCP ping from a host

- Configure a host from site A to use the ASA from site B as an NTP source

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, no such feature has been developed on the ASAs. So you will have to trick the ASA by using a host located in the "interesting" part of the network to constantly generate interesting traffic. Here are a few suggestions:

- Utilize IP SLA on a Cisco device

- Perform TCP ping from a host

- Configure a host from site A to use the ASA from site B as an NTP source

Unfortunately the sites aren't always manned and they take their workstations home with them.  I need something to keep the ASA up.  I guess I will need to put something there to contact the other side constantly.  I hope Cisco comes up with something to allow the permanent connection.

Yep, it would definitely be a nice feature for Cisco to put in place! Let's hope so! If your question is answered please mark the thread as closed :)

shine pothen
Level 3
Level 3

How long do you thing the tunnel will lay idle without traffic ?

what is the life timer parameter that you are using in the site to site ?

Shine Potha

I believe it is is 30 min but it can be controlled via the idle-timer. However, once the tunnel "re-keys" and there is not traffic, the tunnel will tear down and not come back up until "interesting" traffic is seen. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: