Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5500: TCP state bypass for traffic, coming from IPsec tunnel

Jaaazman777
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have problems on central firewall with restricting traffic coming from remote office from IPsec. (The network sheme is attached)

All branch offices are connected to central asa though IPsec.

The main aim is to rule access from branch offices only on the central firewall, NOT on each IPsec tunnel

According to the sheme:

• 172.16.1.0/24 is on of the branch office LANs
  • 10.1.1.0/24 and 10.2.2.0/24 are central office LAN
  • The crypto ACL looks like  permit ip 172.16.1.0/24 10.0.0.0/8

The aim is to

• restrict access from 172.16.1.0/24 to 10.1.1.0/24

When packets are generated from host 10.1.1.10 to 172.16.1.0/24 all is ok -  they are dropped by acl2

When packets are generated from 172.16.1.0/24 to 10.1.1.10 they are not dropped by any ACL - the reason is stateful firewall - traffic bypasses all access lists on a back path

I thought that TCP State Bypass feature can solve this problem and disable stateful firewall inspection for traffic coming from 172.16.1.0/24 to 10.1.1.0/24, but it didn't help.

The central asa 5500 is configured according to cisco doc http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/conns_tcpstatebypass.html

access-list tcp_bypass_acl extended permit tcp 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

!

class-map tcp_bypass_map

description "TCP traffic that bypasses stateful firewall"

match access-list tcp_bypass_acl

!

policy-map tcp_bypass_policy

class tcp_bypass_map

set connection advanced-options tcp-state-bypass

!

service-policy tcp_bypass_policy interface outside

service-policy tcp_bypass_policy interface inside

Does anyone know, how to make TCP State Bypass works properly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand the pain of creating diffrent crypto for diffrent tunnels but i never come across better solution. However TCP state bypass is not going to help in regards to restrict access. TCP state bypass is a way to for FW to act like router which does not do statefull and I dont think that fits in your scenario.

You can still control access on center site by using vpn-filters.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00808c9a87.shtml

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

TCP bypass is not required.

You should have /24 in crypto ACL that will automatically restrict access.

Thanks

Ajay

You should have /24 in crypto ACL that will automatically restrict access.

Ajay, in my first post I noticed that we need to restrict access only on central firewall, not on branch offices with the help of crypto acl.

Do you really think, that I didn't guess about this simple solution, regarding TCP state bypass?

Imagine, that you have 30 branch offices and 30 IPsec tunnels to them. When you need to grant access to one host in central office from all your regions - you must add this host at leat to 31 crypto acl (30 at central asa and one acl at central asa, if to use object-group)!!! it is extremely inconvenient!

I understand the pain of creating diffrent crypto for diffrent tunnels but i never come across better solution. However TCP state bypass is not going to help in regards to restrict access. TCP state bypass is a way to for FW to act like router which does not do statefull and I dont think that fits in your scenario.

You can still control access on center site by using vpn-filters.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00808c9a87.shtml

Thanks

Ajay

Ajay, thank you for your advice!

vpn-filter works great!

It is really very useful tool for restricting access to great amount of IPsec tunnels with the help of only one acl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: