Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic VPN establishment

vcaballero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a VPN conentrator receiving site to site vpn from a cisco 861, on te remote router (cisco861) when it boots up the vpn does not come up automatically it is necessary to have traffic, but as this remote site has DCHP and my monitoring is from the central site i need to find a way for the remote router to get connected nautomatically and stay connected all the time, any idea on how to do this?.

Rgds & Thanks.

Vicente

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is really no way of automating the site-to-site VPN unless there is an interesting traffic that trigger the VPN to be established, and in your case since the remote site is DHCP that means the remote site needs to initiate the connection.

What you can do is to continuously send ping packets or anything else from a host or server at the remote end to trigger the VPN tunnel towards HQ.

View solution in original post

Yes, you are absolutely correct. If you use ezvpn with "auto connect", it will automatically connect to the ezvpn server. I would suggest that you use NEM (Network Extension Mode) as it is closely similar to LAN-to-LAN VPN, and the server end can also access the client LAN.

Please kindly mark this post answered if you have no further question so others can learn from your post. Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is really no way of automating the site-to-site VPN unless there is an interesting traffic that trigger the VPN to be established, and in your case since the remote site is DHCP that means the remote site needs to initiate the connection.

What you can do is to continuously send ping packets or anything else from a host or server at the remote end to trigger the VPN tunnel towards HQ.

Thank you Jennifer,

i have one more question if i decide to use ezvpn the statement "conect auto" would let the router to connect by automatically ??

Rgds

Vicente

Yes, you are absolutely correct. If you use ezvpn with "auto connect", it will automatically connect to the ezvpn server. I would suggest that you use NEM (Network Extension Mode) as it is closely similar to LAN-to-LAN VPN, and the server end can also access the client LAN.

Please kindly mark this post answered if you have no further question so others can learn from your post. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: