cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access SQL cluster DB over vpn

ncfb-awarsame
Level 1
Level 1

we have MS SQL cluster server. We use MS Visual Studio 2005 to access DB using cluster virtual IP address.  On LAN, it is not a problem.

But it does not work over the vpn unless  I allow access to ip addresses of physical SQL servers through VPN. I ran wireshark both on vpn and on LAN, Visual Studio does not communicate with physical servers.  VPN is ASA5540 and we are using VPN client 5.0.

the DB is used by contractors and I'm reluctant to allow them access to the physical boxes.

I would appreciate if anybody can tell how I can resolve this.

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To be frank, i am not really sure of how exactly the application works but based on the problem description, only reason i can think for it not working is because some where during the exchanges, there is some comunication involving the physical server's IP addresses.

When connected to VPN, please run captures on the ASA between the server's IP address (virtual and physical) and the client's IP addresses.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1222

Also, run wireshark on the client and check if there are any attempts to access the server's physical IP addresses.

Regards,

Prapanch

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To be frank, i am not really sure of how exactly the application works but based on the problem description, only reason i can think for it not working is because some where during the exchanges, there is some comunication involving the physical server's IP addresses.

When connected to VPN, please run captures on the ASA between the server's IP address (virtual and physical) and the client's IP addresses.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1222

Also, run wireshark on the client and check if there are any attempts to access the server's physical IP addresses.

Regards,

Prapanch

ncfb-awarsame
Level 1
Level 1

Thank Prapanch.   That is a good idea. I'll run captures on ASA.  I already run wireshark on client and I did not see any attempt to access server's physical address.

regards

ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: