Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 vs 1801 VPN IPSec

Charly Coueffe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've an issue with a Cisco router 1841. I've a tunnel IPsec between two routers Cisco. The first is a router 1801 and the second is a router 1841.

During the day I've the trafic increase to 4 Mbit/s with essentially UDP packets ( VOIP ).  My problem is that the router 1841 has 100% CPU usage and the 1801 only use  50%.

I've changed the 1841 by another router with more memory and a more recent IOS version but it don't resolved the issue.

Then I've used a 1801 on the both side and I only have 50% of CPU usage.

The configuration is very basic.

I've one tunnel with 3des for the phase 1 and a pre-share key.  For the second phase I use 3Des  and sha.

The crypto engine hardware is enable on the two routers (1801 and 1841).

Do you already meet this problem ?

regards,

During the test I've used the following IOS :

IOS version for 1801 : c180x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T5.bin

IOS version for 1841 : c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-9.T1.bin, c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.124-13.bin, c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.151-1.T.bin

Charly

5 Replies 5

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Charly,

Were you able to resolve this until now?

If not maybe you can attach show techs for us to have a looks (things like this very often end up in bugs).

The "high cpu" you mentioned is it caoused by IO operations or a particular process?

Marcin

Hello Marcin,

Sorry for the late reply, but the client did not use the old router. He preferred to stay on the 1803 which worked better.

This morning I generated a "technical support". The router consumes much more CPU than the 1803.

Best regards,

Charly COUEFFE

Charly,

By the quick look it looks like most stuff is caused by IO.

"show buffers" shows some failures ... interesting .... try disabling SNMP-server ... it's long shot ... but could be interesting to try.

Marcin

Marcin,

We have disabled snmp but the issue is the same. We have the same hight CPU value. We have retry with the 1803 and CPU still to 50%.

Charly

Charly,

There's little I can do via support forums, did you already open a TAC case with us for this? 50% is not not bad - at least your CPU is not bored :-)

Check if/where you have higher input or output rate (as seen "show interface").

I'd be also in terrested if "show buffer" shows failures and on which buffers.

Marcin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: