Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 AWS Customer Gateway

rsasuncion1010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are looking at using Cisco 1941 for our office connection to our VPC in AWS. We will use the router as our customer gateway device 

usig BGP.

Do we need Cisco IOS SSL VPN licenses for this?

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/NetworkAdminGuide/Cisco.html

Thank you,

Mon

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As its using crypto to connect to aws you will need a universalK9 image with advanced security or advanced ip services license ,. if your running BGP you should have advanced ip already ? Check if its K9 and if you can form a crypto tunnel you may be good already

I have configured several tunnels to AWS for customers. Mark is quite correct that the AWS tunnels use site to site IPsec VPN. So there is no requirement for SSL licenses to get the AWS tunnels working. You do need the license to allow you to process crypto IPsec.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I found this topic:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11174926/cisco-router-1941-crypto-isakmp-policy-command-missing-ipsec-vpn

Are you referring to Security feature license? Is that what I need to process crypto IPsec?

Thank you,

Mon

Mon

That link is talking about exactly the issue that impacts you. Yes it is the Security feature license that you need. If it is not already installed on your 1941 then you would need to obtain and install this license to be able to configure the crypto IPsec commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

We are not yet running BGP. This will be our first time to use BGP to connect to our AWS VPC. It's good to hear that we would not need VPN licenses for this setup. It would be very expensive if we need to get VPN licenses for each users that would access our application inside VPC.

I think the router that our supplier quote us has no advance security licence included. The router specification is just Cisco1941/K9. 

Thank you,

Mon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: