cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO ANYCONNECT AND LOCAL DNS LOOKUP

Chuckg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a work computer running windows 10 and Cisco Anyconnect 4.4.  The VPN client is connecting and working fine, however every single DNS request looks like it's being duplicated on my local network.  But it is trying to resolve private network names/address' and it is obviously failing every time at my gateway.  My router is then recording these in the log.  There are literally thousands of requests per day ( I work from home) being thrown at my gateway and failing resolution.  How can I stop Cisco Anyconnect from making local DNS inquiries and only using the VPN adapter?  Please keep in mind that I'm not a network engineer and our support for my workplace are....even worse than me.  Any help would be appreciated to stop this.

6 Replies 6

Sorry this does not help. Names are resolving fine, I just want it to stop trying to resolve on the local network and only use the vpn adapter.

Your symptoms suggest that they have set up AnyConnect to use split tunneling (where your traffic to work HQ goes through the vpn and all other traffic just goes out to the Internet). Can you confirm with your support folks that this is the case? And if it is can you ask them to include the DNS traffic as traffic to use the vpn?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard, is there a simple way to relay this info to them and a direct fix they could apply?

Actually I thought that asking them if AnyConnect is set up with split tunneling was pretty simple. And if they have any clue at all about Remote Access VPN they should know if they are specifying split tunneling. But there is a way you can probably help answer this. When you are running AnyConnect you can use the icon to get information about the AnyConnect environment. Look in the information for the section about routing through the vpn. If there is a single entry for 0.0.0.0 then it is not split tunneling and all traffic goes through the vpn. If there are only some routes listed then it would be split tunneling. Can you post what you see in that output?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

We need to know as suggested @Richard Burts  is this split tunnel or all the traffic go to your connected VPN and then internet ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: