cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect Secured Mobility Client not saving the VPN url after disconnecting from session/restarting client

vergel.verceles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there.

I am having a problem with Cisco AnyConnect version 3.1.04072. When one of my colleagues disconnects from the VPN session, closes out the program, and then later on, reopens the client, the address that he manually entered did not save and it's defaulting on the two now-defunct VPN servers listed.

Here's an example to see if it makes more sense:

-User opens Cisco AnyConnect. By default, there are two selections available on the pulldown:

SSLVPN.abcdefg.com
access.abcdefg.ca

These two VPN servers are now defunct and we use a new VPN server:

access.abcdefg.com

The user has to manually type it in. He is now able to connect. However, when disconnected. Regardless if the program is closed or not, it does not save the new VPN server address, rather goes back to the default two VPN servers listed.

I've checked XML, HTML, registry keys, sys files, dll files to see if I can change the default servers manually. No sign of it.

I'm hoping that someone out there knows a solution to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Dinesh Moudgil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vergel ,

You can create Anyconnect client profile on ASA. In this profile , you can define the hostname/IP that you wish to connect , along with hostname/IP that should be displayed on the client.

In the client profile , you can define these parameters - "HostName" and "HostAddress" as "access.abcdefg.com" so that any user , who tries to connects , will see "access.abcdefg.com" as the name displayed in the anyconnect connect field.

On the client, the xml profile (C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile) [Win 7] can be seen using those parameters as follows:-
        <HostEntry>
            <HostName>access.abcdefg.com</HostName>
            <HostAddress>access.abcdefg.com</HostAddress>
        </HostEntry>

Ref:- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect30/administration/guide/anyconnectadmin30/ac03vpn.html#89103

Additionally, you can try to delete preferences.xml file to remove the redundant hostnames from the anyconnect connect filed.
Path for preferences.xml is C:\Users\Cisco\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (Win 7),

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dinesh Moudgil

P.S. Please rate helpful posts.

Cisco Network Security Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CiscoNetSec/

I can only get DefaultHostName to work. But then you can not add multiple names in the drop down

How can I do this if I dont have access to the ASAs I support a lot of companies so I dont have access to all but it would be nice to have the ability to save the profiles like on the old Cisco VPN client.

You can download the standalone profile editor and create your own anyconnect profiles wihtout having access to the ASA.

anyconnect_screenshot.png

This software provides a nice GUI to create the .xml files needed. Once you have completed the settings, you can click file > save as and save the .xml to the location:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

You should now see your profile show up in the anyconnect software. 

Here is the link to download this software for version 4.5

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286281283&flowid=72322&softwareid=282364313&release=4.0.00061&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thank you Dinesh! 

It has been helpful. Thanks