cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ASA site to site vpn configuration

vinoth13.c
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to configure site to site vpn in my lab ..

i am using two ASA

what are the parameters to match betwween the peers

phase 1 configuration .....
crypto ikev1 policy 1
authentication pre-share
encryption aes
hash md5
group 2
lifetime 86400
whether this should be match on other peer ?

key should be match .... this is one i have confirmed .

tunnel group name or ip should be match or different between the peers..

whether this  below  parameters should be match between peers ?

access-list name ?

transform set name ?

crypto map name ?

can someone give the answer ..

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GioGonza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello @vinoth13.c

You need to match Phase 1 and Phase 2 parameters in order to be able to build the VPN tunnel, you can check this link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/119141-configure-asa-00.html

Now, your configuration on Phase 1 should match the other end and it doesn´t if the numbers are different.

Also, the ACLs - transform-set - crypto map names shoudn´t match, you can have different names on both sides and this should work but if you wanna for documentation purposes or template configuration you can use the same on each device. 

HTH

Gio

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

GioGonza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello @vinoth13.c

You need to match Phase 1 and Phase 2 parameters in order to be able to build the VPN tunnel, you can check this link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/119141-configure-asa-00.html

Now, your configuration on Phase 1 should match the other end and it doesn´t if the numbers are different.

Also, the ACLs - transform-set - crypto map names shoudn´t match, you can have different names on both sides and this should work but if you wanna for documentation purposes or template configuration you can use the same on each device. 

HTH

Gio

thanks for the quick reply .

i have verified the document , in that tunnel-group are configuring as same ip both the peers ?

can you clarify that ..

thanks

Hello @vinoth13.c

Yes, the same IP you used on the crypto map will server as the name on the tunnel-group configuration, if you want to use names you need to change the command "crypto isakmp identity auto"(default) to "crypto isakmp identity hostname/ike-id" but as this is a global command it will affect the rest of the VPN tunnels.

I would suggest to use the IP address instead of names. 

HTH

Gio