Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client install fails with Error 1722 on Windows 7

james.bellaart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having issues with laptops upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

Prior to the upgrade they are running Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290.  These laptops also have Juniper Network Connect 6.5 and Citrix web client installed.  The windows upgrade advisor made no recommendations regarding uninstalling / reinstalling these apps.

I have done an inplace upgade to Windows 7 (Windows Vista Enterprise 32bit to Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit) and after the install the Cisco client is not working.  Uninstalled the client (the uninstall was successful) then reinstalled and the installation fails at Installing Cisco Systems Virtual Adapter - error 1722 there was a problem with the windows installer package.

I have followed the steps for a manual uninstall of the Cisco client and then tried the install again - still not successful.  Interestingly (or not) the Juniper Network Connect also fails with the error The Network Connect Virtual adapter driver is not installed properly.  This also fails to reinstall after being removed.

I tried removing the VPN clients on another laptop and then running the upgrade but the same errors occured when reinstalling the VPN Client.  I have tried the Winfix and DNE patch from Citrix but these fail saying there is a corruption in the application.

On another laptop where only the Cisco VPN client was installed a reinstall was required after the upgrade, but it did install successfully.

On a clean image these applications all install fine, however I have a large number of laptops do upgrade and don't want to do a fresh install and settings migration on all of them.

What files / registry entrys are involved with the DNE adapter so I can manually clear it all out before reinstalling?

Anything else I can do to troubleshoot this issue?

Cheers,

James

3 Replies 3

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you re-install the same version? 5.0.5 does not support Windows 7, you'll need 5.0.6.

_http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730_

32bit only btw.
64bit support will be added to 5.0.7, a beta is available now from the same location.

hth
Herbert

Thanks.

Yes we did reinstall the same version, however on a clean build this version installs and works fine, it is only on an upgraded machine that there is an error.

I will have our customer supply us with 5.0.6 and update with whether this fixes the issue.

You should be able to install the 64 bit version of the Cisco VPN software

Latest version is vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe

You should download and run MCPR.exe first, to clean out any traces of McAfee products that conflict with Cisco VPN.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

If there is a problem with vbscript registration on the system - there is a fixit tool from Microsoft for that:

MicrosoftFixit50842.msi

(Using Shrew VPN is a possible workaround.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: