cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN not working after updating to MAC OS10.6.7

Wujun Li
Level 1
Level 1

My VPN client no longer works after i upgraded my MAC OS to 10.6.7. my client is vpnclient-darwin-4.9.01.0280-universal-k9.dmg.

But after i change to 32bit, it works fine. Doesn't mean this client doesn't work with 64bit OS 10.6.7? then what client works with 64-bit 10.6.7?

Thanks

Wujun

12 Replies 12

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"vpnclient-darwin-4.9.01.0280-universal-k9.dmg" is still at BETA phase as per the following release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282364316/43859/4.9.1.0280-rel-notes.txt

Please kindly contact the BETA email alias for any questions regarding this version: cvc-beta@cisco.com

Then what version works with MAC OS10.6.7 64bit?

I used vpnclient-darwin-4.8.00.0490-GUI-k9.dmg before and didn't work either.

MAC OS 10.6 is only supported from version 4.9, however as I said earlier, it is still in BETA phase, and not being released as a general release yet. So if you have any question in regards to that version, please contact the email alias provided. The BETA team will be able to answer your question.

I had the same problem with loading up my new mac pro.  I thought it was because i needed to install Cisco VPN before doing updates, but that didn't work either...

The answer is.. you can only run the Cisco VPN client if your mac is using the 32 bit kernal.

Here's how to change the kernal to 32 bit mode:

Method 1: Startup key combination (for current startup only)

• If your Mac uses the 32-bit kernel by default, but supports the 64-bit kernel, you can start up using the 64-bit kernel by holding the 6 and 4 keys during startup.
  • If your Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default, you can start up with the 32-bit kernel by holding the 3 and 2 keys during startup.

Your Mac will revert to the default kernel the next time you reboot it.

Method 2: On-disk setting (persistent)

To select the 64-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

To select the 32-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Are there any plans on updating the Cisco VPN 4.9 client for Mac to work with the 64 bit kernel in the future?

I echo Chris' question. I e-mailed the beta team, and will post any reply I get.

It's pretty frustrating for Cisco to be both silent and "late to the party" on this, especially for the amount I pay in maintenance every year. Apple has given plenty of warning on their architecture requirements. Why isn't this already available?

There are other ways to get Macs to authenticate, of course, other than a Cisco-branded client. If Cisco isn't in front on the development of a client for their own VPN solution, though, what exactly am I paying for?

Jess Frykholm

Systems Engineer,

Sermo, Inc

Here's the text from my e-mail interaction with Pete Davis, Product Manager, Endpoint & VPN. Not encouraging news, but helpful nonetheless.

==================================================================================

==================================================================================

Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 19:47:45 -0500

To: Jess Frykholm, "cvc-beta(mailer list)"

Subject: RE: 64-bit VPN Client for OS X 10.6.7 - status?

Hi Jess,

There are no plans to update the Cisco VPN Client to support x64 on Mac OS X.

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

Pete Davis

Product Manager. Endpoint & VPN

STBU

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:17 PM

To: Pete Davis (psd); cvc-beta(mailer list)

Subject: Re: 64-bit VPN Client for OS X 10.6.7 - status?

Thanks – I'll look into it. Any ETA for the other solution (upgrade of the existing 4.9 client to support 64-bit)?

Jkf

Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:28:11 -0500

To: Jess Frykholm , "cvc-beta(mailer list)"

It can support your ASAs as long as they have an almost-free Essentials license (ASA 8.2+).  You will need to configure the ASAs to support this.

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:10 PM

To: Pete Davis (psd); cvc-beta(mailer list)

Subject: Re: 64-bit VPN Client for OS X 10.6.7 - status?

Pete,

Thanks for your email. The client doesn't seem to connect to either of our ASA's. Is it supposed to connect to our existing environment, or is it a separate product we have to purchase?

I understand that the client doesn't support 64-bit OS X. Is there an ETA for when (or if) it will? This is suddenly a huge deal for us – lots of upgraded laptops that we're having to implement work-arounds for….

Jess

Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:17:51 -0500

To: Jess Frykholm , "cvc-beta(mailer list)"

Hi Jess,

I suggest looking in to the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client which is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.7.  The Cisco VPN Client can work with Mac OS X 10.6.7, but does not work if the machine is booted in to 64-bit mode (which is automatic for the newest Mac models).

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 5:02 PM

To: cvc-beta(mailer list)

Subject: 64-bit VPN Client for OS X 10.6.7 - status?

Hello,

Can you please provide a status (or link) for when a 64-bit VPN client will be available, that works with OS X v. 10.6.7?

I can't find any ETA on Cisco's site.

Thanks!

Jess

just use MAC native VPN client...why bother with waiting for Cisco

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=12164

worked for me.

Because we are using eToken smartcards to hold the certificates for accessing the VPN and we don't want to simply have a shared secret.  This appears to be the only way to use the native VPN client for the Mac.  When using the certificate option I have to use a different type of certificate rather than the ones I can store directly on the eToken smartcard.  The Cisco VPN client works with eTokens but only has a 32 bit client.

Because i have over a 100 clients with VPN's and using the built-in version is just not a good fit from many standpoints.   CISCO !  Make a 64bit (kernel) compatable version!!

Richard, et al.,

Agreed on all points, and also because I like to run my IT shop as close to OS-parity as possible. If I have the option to have a VPN client (or any app) look the same on multiple platforms, I prefer it, as it's easier for the user community (esp. when switching platforms), and easier for IT to troubleshoot remotely.

I'm working on getting our firewalls upgraded, to try their AnyConnect client (and will post when I do). For the record I don't recall seeing any Cisco "end of life" notices on this product. This is sketchy behavior from Cisco, when I'm paying maintenance on this gear. :/

Jess Frykholm

Systems Engineer,

Sermo, Inc

From what i've seen, any connect is great if you only have one VPN connection to connect to.  For consultants that probably have multiple VPN's to keep track of it's painful.  Before cisco released the 64 bit Cisco VPN , and before I switched to mac 100% i used it a bit.    Then when i discovered the limitations, i was forced to use Orca to make the Cisco VPN client work on Windows 64 bit... not very stable but speaks to your last post jess.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: