cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting iMac using AnyConnect

akagilligan
Level 1
Level 1

First off, forgive me, I know very little about VPN.  I was issued a very slow laptop with AnyConnect installed on it to access my desktop at work for the purposes of SQL 2008 design.  I work for the State and they will not provide any support for other than their machine.  From home I'm running an intel based iMac with OS X v10.5.7.

This is what I know:

• On my laptop I'm running AnyConnect VPN Client Version 2.4.1012
  • I  have the client address, server address, Connection address, group, my username and password
  • I tried to use the vpn access in the Mac Network settings.  I have no shared secret of know how to authenticate my machine

Questions

• Where can I download AnyConnect for a Mac and what version should I use?
  • Do I have to know more or have more than I can determine form my AnyConnect console on my work laptop?
  • Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for any help.  I have been watching text boxes crawl across my screen for months and any help would be appreciated.

Tom

2 Replies 2

Paul Carco
Level 1
Level 1

"I tried to use the vpn access in the Mac Network settings.  I have no shared secret of know how to authenticate my machine"

- You are looking at the IPSec Client on the MAC  the shared secret is for the IPSec group authentication and not relevant for your case since AnyConnect is SSL VPN.

Questions

• Where can I download AnyConnect for a Mac and what version should I use?

-- Unless you have a CCO login/password tied to a support contract I don't think you will be able to download from Cisco.

• Do I have to know more or have more than I can determine form my AnyConnect console on my work laptop?

-- No you don't other than the hostname/address of the VPN head end.  If they use an alias it may be tougher to determine where your connected.  You can find it in the Client Statistics tab.

• Is there a better way to do this?

On the MAC open up the browser and connect to the same address you use the Windows AnyConnect Client to connect - hopefully for you they reveal that in the Client..  If it says  mycompany.com then in the browser use  https://mycompany.com and see if they permit web portal logins.   If they do they may have the MAC Client available via Web Launch.. What this means that when you connect to the VPN headend your MAC will be scanned to determine the OS and if they have a regular expression defined the correct MAC client  (Intel or power pc) may be pushed down to you.  The reason I am suggesting this is that we don't "officially support"  Mac's YET but we do offer it (and I use one) and that is how I distribute it.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Paul

Hello Paul,

If I understand what you are saying our UC560 which is acting as our firewall as well should have the MAC AnyConnect client installed somewhere and the UC560 would 'check' the iMac as it attempts to connect?

best regards,

Barry

"when you connect to the VPN headend your MAC will be scanned to determine the OS and if they have a regular expression defined the correct MAC client  (Intel or power pc) may be pushed down to you."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: