cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN and OSPF dropout

tholmes
Level 1
Level 1

I've configured a simple DMVPN with 2 hub routers.

Each spoke router has a primary tunnel to the main hub and a secondary tunnel to the second hub.

This needs to be done using dual DMVPNs

I've set up OSPF and everything works really well except the tunnel to the second hub router keeps dropping its SA.

If the primary tunnel dies then the secondary does establish and stablises ok.

If anyone can spot the problem in the configs I'd appreciate it.

4 Replies 4

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

According to this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_white_paper09186a008018983e.shtml#dualhubs

Your issue may be using mGRE instead of p-pGRE tunnel interface types when both tunnel interfaces use the same source address. If you want to use mGRE tunnel intf types, use seperate source addresses.

If the same tunnel source is used for mGRE tunnel interfaces:

"This address is matched against the tunnel source ... address, but since both tunnels have the same tunnel source ... address, the first mGRE tunnel interface is always matched. This means that incoming multicast data packets may be associated with the wrong mGRE interface, breaking any dynamic routing protocol."

That may be the source of your issue.

With regards to OSPF: Is there a seperate backend connection between HubPrimary and HubBackup? That is, is one a DR and the other the backup DR for the ospf network?

The same doc suggests that using eigrp (or rip) may be easier than using ospf when running over an NBMA network. You may want to consider using EIGRP, instead of OSPF. I refer to the part of the URL that descibes what you have: Dual Hub and Dual DMVPN.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll certainly look at this in more detail

Best Regarsds Tony

If you have any more questions or concerns, just post them here. I or someone else will be happy to help you.

Thanks for your help, my customer made the changes but the second tunnel still drops after about 10 mins.

Regards Tony