Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN bandwidth consumption

All,

We have some reference of the bandwidth consumption of DMVPN sessions.

I have a link that is overloaded and the traffic is related to DMVPN. I would like to increase the speed of the link, however, would like to know the references to make a correct sizing.

Thanks.

Luciane de Medeiros

3 Replies 3

How much traffic are you sending through your DMVPN. I would monitor the bandwidth using SNMP or Netflow. Are you using the DMVPN only to sent pings? or SNMP or RDP or HTTP or you are using it to sent Transational trafic or media rich traffic or VoIP or What???

Hi, Diego.

All types.

4.5 MB

Luciane de Medeiros

Hi Luciane

you will have a a overhead from the Gre/IPsec on per packet basis round about 80 bytes, depending on configuration.

For tcp sessions you sould limit the mss to 1400 or lower depending on you internet links.

And depending on size of the network, tunnel need to created and reconnection events a little overhead

from nhrp and IKE.

If you have problems with the traffic on point maybe fragmentation, limit mss to 1400 or 1350 (GRE+IPsec+PPPoe) should be the same in the network.

You can enable ip flow on your tunnel interfaces to see what traffic is transmitted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: