cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN performance of ISR G2 routers

PETER NEGUS
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at branch router models & spec for DMVPN. I am being told that I need a mininum of 2911 for a 10Mbps access circuit to a branch location. This seems strange as the mGRE is CEF switched and the IPSec is in hardware. I would expect a 1941 to be able to saturate a 10Mbps circuit with IPSec traffic on a normal point-point link.

Does anyone have real-world performance figures for 1941/ 29xx / 39xx / 39xxe ?

1 Reply 1

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Peter,

"Real-world" - that's a tricky term. If I test something over my WAN(s) and give you the numbers will it be also applicable for you? :-)

But I see what you mean, I think the closest we can give in this regard is IMIX testing, wth little-to-no accounting of packet loss or latency.

Strictly speaking 1941 should be within the specs you're looking for (in terms of raw crypto performance), however you need to account for control plane usage, amount of tunnels/routing adjacancies/etc.

2900 series in general will provide a bit more CPU power, which should allow you to easily scale up in future.

That being said I think it's fair for me to say - please discuss sizing/scalability with your Cisco SE or Advanced Services team. There is only so much we can account for in a dicussion on forums.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: