Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Throughput...

joe.morrison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at getting some more performance out of our existing DMVPN by upgrading the Hub and Branch routers. We have a 100Mbit connection between all of our sites and are running a DMVPN over the links. In the branches we currntly have 1841's and the Hub is a 2811. Right now our max throughbut is stuck around 14Mbits (due to the limited DMVPN processing power in the 1841... I think...). So my questions is this... Would upgrading the branch office 1841's to 1921's and the hub from the 2811 to the 2901 make much of a diference in the usable bandwidth between sites?

Let me know if you need any clarification,

Thanks in advance!!!

Joe

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joe,

I think it's best you reach out to your Cisco SE for actual, thorough numbers.

All the numbers I could find... well let's just say that I could not guarantee they were taken under same circumstances.

If you want I can still provide them, but please remember those are not to be treated as any official numbers ;-)

Marcin

Thanks for the response Marcin.

If you could provide the links/numbers you were able to locate that would be great! Yep, I understand that they would only be theoretical numbers and depending on the situation they probably wont be exact, but at least it should give me a starting point.

Thanks!

-Joe

Joe,

Sure, here goes. Those tests were done by one of Fathers of DMVPN as they are affectionally called... some of it back in 2004 ;-)

So with 50 tunnels a 2911 got 34 Mbit/s of throughput.

The number for 1841 with 10 tunnels is at around 6.5 Mbit/s (using AIM)

2811 20 tunnels ~ 6Mbit/s (using AIM).

Not that this is done as testing for hub, not really a full lab, just to give you some rough numbers to use as reference later on.

Please don't ask me for clarifications on the numbers or testing methodology I just don't have access to this.

The best way to get proper numbers is asking for them from your SE ;]

That being said, let me tell you about best practices.

- Unless you have less than 10 spokes, you might want to consider going for 39xx or 38xx (3945e got very nice results)

- use BGP for routing protocol - it scales well but is not supported on lower end platforms.

- on ISR g1 - AIM can give you additional 40-50% throughput.

Thanks a bunch Marcin, this helps clear things up.  That being said, I will probably take your advice and speak with our SE prior to making any equipment upgrades.

Regarding the best practices... We only have about 7 spokes when all sites are online (usually just 5) and have been unsig EIGRP in the past. I think an AIM in the hub might be benificial... But I'll just leave that for the SE to decide.

Thanks Again!

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: