cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual wan, VPN setup help RV042

nelson987
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm a bit new at this and I wanted to know if this is possible with the RV042 or if there's a better product to use. 

Our server is at located at location A and locations B and C telnet to the server via a VPN.  We're looking at getting another ISP at each location as a backup and abandon older modem backups.

Would I setup a VPN tunnel between (A and B) and (A and C) for each ISP? Also I had a question on local IP addresses and if this would work

location A, ISP 1      -> location B, ISP1

local IP 192.168.1.1      remote IP 192.168.2.1  

Public IP aa.aa.aa.aa     Public IP bb.bb.bb.bb

location A, ISP 1      -> location B, ISP2

Public IP aa.aa.aa.aa    Public IP cc.cc.cc.cc

location A, ISP 2      -> location B, ISP1

Public IP dd.dd.dd.dd    Public IP bb.bb.bb.bb

location A, ISP 2      -> location B, ISP2

Public IP dd.dd.dd.dd    Public IP cc.cc.cc.cc

Etc for A->C

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2 Replies 2

Hi

This is doable . You can use the same encryption domain and have both the VPN tunnels up and running.

Because they both use 2 different WAN IP's so you wold essentially end up having 2 VPN Tunnels.

Now in terms of traffic routing/load balancing I need to verify. I labbed it found that the traffic routing was asymetric. I mean the traffic would out via one tunnel and come back in via another tunnel causing issues. Will need to troubleshoot that bit

HTH

What about using the Tunnel Backup feature in the tunnel instead of creating multiple vpn tunnels.

In Location A's config, have the Dead Peer Detection (DPD) Interval 30 seconds and have it use Location B's ISP 2 as backup.

In Location B's config, have the Dead Peer Detection (DPD) Interval 60 seconds and have it use Location A's ISP 2 as backup.

This way if B's ISP 1 failed, A's ISP 1 will automatically connect to B's ISB 2.  If A's ISP 1 failed, B's ISP1 will automatically connect to A's ISP 2.  The only thing is if Both ISP 1's fail, there's no A ISP 2 to B ISP 2.

Would this setup work and is that DPD interval an appropriate length?    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: