cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic-to-static routed VPN tunnel with Linksys router and ASA

it
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure a dynamic-to-static routed VPN tunnel.  Basically a regular L2L VPN tunnel but where one side has a dynamic IP.

I have a Cisco ASA 5510 with ASA 8.2 (static IP).

I think the hard part is that I'm attempting to use a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware and VPNC to make the connection on the dynamic IP side.

I've read some litature on dynamic-to-static VPNs but I'm having problems making the leap with VPNC and DD-WRT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

follow the below config example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00805733df.shtml

you can ignore the client config.

HTH>

Andrew.

mciszek
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you are not running a vulnerable version of DD-WRT or you may be compromising the security of the site with the ASA 5510

Purchasing an ASA 5505 would be a good solution to help mitigate this risk.  Cisco puts out regular security advisories when know vulnerabilities are discovered.  I don’t believe the DD-WRT software has undergone the same amount of security testing as the ASA platform.  Depending on the level of security required at the primary site a commercial solution may be warranted.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: