cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extremely frustrating, cisco anyconnect on ubuntu keeps dropping wifi connection

pramodbutte
Level 1
Level 1

This has been any extrememely frustrating experience. I am sing Dell XPS 13 developer edition and connecting to out institution using Anyconnect vpn. My wifi is has never dropped when I am not on vpn. but as soon as I connect with anyconnect vpn client the wireless start dropping completely and only solution is to use a second channel on my router or disconnect vpn and restart networking. 

Any help? 

4 Replies 4

pramodbutte
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone? 

If possible, I would try lowering the MTU on your wireless interface.  It is likely the default of 1500.  Trying lowering (requires admin access) to 1460.

AZ111
Level 1
Level 1

Any help from the community? I have the same issue. I'm using a Ubuntu linux on an XPS 15, and need Cisco to connect to my institution vpn. At first the connection would start normally, but after a few minutes (2-4 min), it says reconnecting, and the laptop will run its fan crazily loud. And the 'reconnecting' status will just keep you off internet forever, rather than reconnecting. I have to force disconnection to the vpn and manually reconnect again. This time things truly depends on luck. For the first few time it reconnects, but then it just keep telling me that something is wrong with the my IP. But as soon as I disconnect the vpn, I have no problem connecting to my wifi and internet. Mean while, my other devices on the same wifi network have no problem, this is not an internet issue.

I've checked with my institute IT, my internet provider, and even my wireless router support, but non of them could solve the issue.

My laptop is a double boot with Ubuntu and Windows. Cisco anyconnect on the windows side never experienced such issue.

This bug report had the answer for me:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1783903/+activity

Just run

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-config-connectivity-ubuntu

Then restart your computer - my connection has now been stable for > 15min whereas before it would drop every 1-2 min.