Views
Helpful
Replies

GETVPN performance with 2911s - capped at 67Mbps

anestis.iliadis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if any of you have real world numbers on the GETVPN performance with 2911 routers?

I have a pretty simple setup with 2 key servers - 4 group members. I connected 2 laptops on two different group members and did an iperf test. Unfortunately the results were pretty disheartening. I only got 66-67Mbps/sec max and the router CPU was constantly at 77% !!

All the routers were 2911 with 2gigs of RAM installed and I was using AES 256 for the traffic. (I don't think lowering to 128 bits would give me that much of a performance boost). I wish we could afford ASRs but we can't so I would love to hear other people's experience on this with real world results with similar platforms.

thank you -

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I only got 66-67Mbps/sec max and the router CPU was constantly at 77% !!

That's about right.  The 2911 is rated for 180 Mbps (half duplex and no encryption).

Refer to this chart.

I personally would peg the 2911 to around 45-50 Mbps full duplex and with encryption.

60Mbit (FD, IMIX) is recommended IPsec throughput data I saw in charts available internally (not the most recent though).

2951 should be just above 100mbit (again recommended not maximum).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: