Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I use VPN on Android?

Dear All,

In our company we are providing VPN connection to our employees. VPN connection works fine with iPad and iPhone.

Images below shows the configuration for iPad. I need to configure that for Android "Galaxy" as I tried that but I couldn't.

16-Jul-2012 9-48-03 AM.png

Looking to hear from you.

Your help is appreciated.

16 Replies 16

Hi

Abdulaziz,

To configure it you need to follow this path:

Settings --> Wireless and network ---> More ---> VPN --> Add VPN network

VPN field:

Name: Test

Type: IPSec Xauth PSK ---> (to use pre-shared-keys)

Server: VPN server's IP.

IPSec identifier: Connection profile

IPSec pre-shared-key: Secret key.

That should do it.

Do you see any errors on the server side? What are you connecting to (an ASA for instance)?

Thanks in advance.

Please rate any post you find useful.

Dear Javier,

Thanks for your help.

But I want to know, what will be the IPSec identifier?

Hi,

It will be the Group-name configured on the iPhone.

Keep me posted.

* Please rate any post that you find helpful.

Dear Support,

Thanks for your reply.

once I click Add vpn connection.

Add PPTP VPN

Add L2TP

Add L2TP/IPSec PSK VPN

Add L2TP/IPSec CRT VPN

Which one do I have to chose?

Thanks and Regards,

Hi,

So you don't see the IPSec Xauth PSK option?

Which Android version are you working with?

My Galaxy SII runs ICS.

Portu.

I am on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III running ICS 4.0.4

This is still not fixing the problem. I am told that I have successfully connected. But no data transfer takes place. I cannot connect to internal systems not to external open websites from the phone.

With our Cisco IPSec at my company I have a Macintosh which works. My Galaxy S3 set up is also shown. Is there something else to check?

Hi Nick,

So you can connect but unable to pass any traffic?

Code version of your FW?

Thanks.

Portu

I am also on a Samsung Galaxy S III. It is running the original Samsung firmware with the build number I9300XXALF6, the setup is the same as Nick's and I am seeing the exact same issue. The connection is established, but it is not possible to connect to any server or even ping to any device on on the companies network. Is there any solution to this? Is there anything else I could check?

Thanks Javier, this worked on my tablet!

cfillot
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same problem. The VPN connection is established, but no traffic is flowing.

On my Radius server, I can see successful login for group and user. On the phone, a "tun0" interface is created with an IP address from a pool configured on the VPN concentrator. Also, the routing table seems correct.

Android release: 4.0.4

Build number: I9300BULF1

It is fixed (at least with the Galaxy S3) with the latest firmware update, which I applied yesterday. The build number is I9300BULG2. The VPN worked perfectly fine after that.

I can confirm this for I9300XXBLG8 and wireless LAN. In this setup the VPN now works flawless. On the other hand when using any flavour of mobile connection, the appearantly first access to the VPN by whatever tool causes a reboot of the device.

Yeah it seems I spoke too fast : I tested only with wifi connection, and indeed with a mobile connection I also get a systematic reboot when accessing networks behind the VPN (with mail application for example).

nickrobins
Level 1
Level 1

There is a third party solution for the problem at least for Android 4.1.1 on a Galaxy S3

It is called VPNCilla on the Google Play store. It has a trial version so that you can verify it works with your device on your network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: