Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure V-SAT as backup to serial Interface

mkirankumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone let me know how to configure V-SAT as a backup to serial interface?

Thanks

Kiran

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The floating static route or a dynamic routing protocol solution should work for you. Assuming your remote destination is 192.168.1.0/24 and you have a route configured:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 serial 0

By floating static we mean configure another route with a higher administrative distance:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 ethernet0 150

Now if the serial0 goes down ethernet 0 will be used to reach the remote (assuming ethernet0 is your VSAT link).

If you take the dynamic protocol approach then the routing protocol will basically take care of your routing decisions and there is no need to configure anything statically.

View solution in original post

gmarkaj
Level 1
Level 1

Kiran,

I've been using this quite a bit lately..In a scenario where your primary connection is terrestrial on a serial interface such as frame relay, your primary routing protocol should send routes across the primary link for my case EIGRP (AD 90), in the case where the primary link goes down, the routing protocol will generate an update saying it is down and should follow the floating static route with a higher weight to your Brighton unit which is on the LAN. This has been working quite well..remember that it has to be detected by both routers w/floating static routes so it can failover...email me if you are still having trouble.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

How is the VSAT connecting to your router? I would assume the VSAT modem is connecting to the router using a V.35 interface. If that is the case you can treat the VSAT as a secondary serial interface and use the same methods as suggested by Shanky in another similar post (link provided below):

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd69d11

mkirankumar
Level 1
Level 1

V-SAT is getting connected to ethernet and that is the reason I'm looking for a solution to configure it as a backup

The floating static route or a dynamic routing protocol solution should work for you. Assuming your remote destination is 192.168.1.0/24 and you have a route configured:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 serial 0

By floating static we mean configure another route with a higher administrative distance:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 ethernet0 150

Now if the serial0 goes down ethernet 0 will be used to reach the remote (assuming ethernet0 is your VSAT link).

If you take the dynamic protocol approach then the routing protocol will basically take care of your routing decisions and there is no need to configure anything statically.

gmarkaj
Level 1
Level 1

Kiran,

I've been using this quite a bit lately..In a scenario where your primary connection is terrestrial on a serial interface such as frame relay, your primary routing protocol should send routes across the primary link for my case EIGRP (AD 90), in the case where the primary link goes down, the routing protocol will generate an update saying it is down and should follow the floating static route with a higher weight to your Brighton unit which is on the LAN. This has been working quite well..remember that it has to be detected by both routers w/floating static routes so it can failover...email me if you are still having trouble.

Cheers!