Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet stopped working when connected to Cisco VPN

Mukesh Tiwari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured IPSec (Ikev1) Remote access VPN in ASA 5520, VPN is connecting properly and i am able to access all internal resources but Internet is not working when connected to VPN. I have investigated on this and found problem with the default gateway, i am getting ddefault gateway duringVPN connection. I am surprised in ASA there is no default gateway configured for remote VPN IP pool then how remote clients can get default gateway.

I am describing my problem in below given image Please help me to shootout it.

Thanks in advanve.

1.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mukesh ,

Until you specify below command under your group policy , you will get default gateway assigned by ASA to your vpn user . Please update your tunnel config & group policy

group-policy XYZ attributes

split-tunnel-policy tunnelspecified
split-tunnel-network-list value split-tunnel

access-list split-tunnel standard permit 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0

For anyconnect with split tunnel use below URL for help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080975e83.shtml

ASA/PIX: Allow Split Tunneling for VPN Clients on the ASA Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080702999.shtml

HTH

Regards
Santhosh Saravanan

HTH Regards Santhosh Saravanan

View solution in original post

Markus Thun
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

thats right. you must use the split tunneling. By default the ASA gets the vpn client a default route 0.0.0.0/0, that mean that all traffic will be forwarded through the vpn tunnel. you must configure it in the groupe policy via consol or ASDM.

Via asdm:

Regards

Markus

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

First of all I would suggest that you change the VPN Pool to something else than your internal network. They arent part of the same network anyway.

This might also be related to your problem.

In a normal Split Tunnel VPN setup you should be able to connect to the Internet just fine "past" the actual VPN connection.

So as I said, please first change the VPN Pool to something else than a network that is overlapping with the LAN network and configure NAT0 configurations for this new VPN Pool and then try again.

Have you set a DNS server into your VPN CLient configurations?

- Jouni

Thanks a lot for your reply.

As per your suggestion i have changed the remote VPN ip pool, previously it was 172.16.1.51 to 172.16.1.100 and now it is 172.16.10.1 to 172.16.1.254 mask 255.255.255.0 but the problem is still continuing. Remote vpn user is getting 172.16.10.1 and default gateway 172.16.10.2 and in this condition Internet is not working.

I have added 172.16.10.0/24 in nat0 before putting in Remote VPN IP Pool.

Yes DNS servers are set for VPN client.

Hi Mukesh,

Please check the if the split tunnel is getting pushed correctly to the client. To check that you need to right on the yellow lock icon and click on statistic. In the statistic window check the route detail tab and make sure you see 172.16.1.0/24 there. if possible send me the following output:

show vpn-sessiondb remote

show run tunnel-group xyz (xyz should be replace with name of the tunnel-group)

sh run group-policy xyz (xyz should be replace with name of the group-policy)

If you have correct split tunneling access-list and you have the correct split tunnel pushed to the client then there is no reason that you will not be able to connect to the internet.

Thanks

Jeet Kumar

Hi Mukesh ,

Until you specify below command under your group policy , you will get default gateway assigned by ASA to your vpn user . Please update your tunnel config & group policy

group-policy XYZ attributes

split-tunnel-network-list value split-tunnel

access-list split-tunnel standard permit 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0

For anyconnect with split tunnel use below URL for help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080975e83.shtml

ASA/PIX: Allow Split Tunneling for VPN Clients on the ASA Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080702999.shtml

HTH

Regards
Santhosh Saravanan

HTH Regards Santhosh Saravanan

Thanks a lot Jeet and Santhosh your replies helped me. Thanks to all repliers.

This is the previous group policy: with this configuration remote users were getting default gateway

ASA-VTV# sh run group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN

group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN internal

group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN attributes

dns-server value 172.16.1.10 172.16.1.11

vpn-tunnel-protocol ikev1

split-tunnel-policy tunnelall

split-tunnel-network-list value VTVREMOTEVPN_splitTunnelAcl

default-domain none

ASA-VTV#

This is modified group policy: with this configuration remote users are not getting default gateway

ASA-VTV# sh run group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN

group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN internal

group-policy VTVREMOTEVPN attributes

dns-server value 172.16.1.10 172.16.1.11

vpn-filter value VTVREMOTEVPN_splitTunnelAcl

vpn-tunnel-protocol ikev1

split-tunnel-network-list value VTVREMOTEVPN_splitTunnelAcl

default-domain value abcl.com

Hi,

The top configurations is specified to Tunnel All traffic as you can see from the "split-tunnel-policy tunneall". In this case the Split Tunnel ACL is ignored to my understanding.

The bottom configuration is specified to use Split Tunnel but I cant see the ACL specified there.

To my understanding you should be seeing routes on your actual computers routing table for the networks that are reached through the VPN.

On a Windows machine you can open the command prompt and issue the command "route print" to view the routes

Here is an example when I am connected to one Split Tunnel VPN (click to enlarge)

To my understanding there is no default gateway in the virtual VPN interface configurations as the host forward all the traffic that needs to be tunneled to the actual virtual interface and from there on in it heads through the VPN Connection.

Here is an example what the VPN Client Statistics/Route Details tells me

Both Internet and the remote network/host behind the VPN connection can be reached.

What does the above window show for you in your VPN Client when active?

- Jouni

Markus Thun
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

thats right. you must use the split tunneling. By default the ASA gets the vpn client a default route 0.0.0.0/0, that mean that all traffic will be forwarded through the vpn tunnel. you must configure it in the groupe policy via consol or ASDM.

Via asdm:

Regards

Markus

if you have full tunnel VPN, you need to add the virtual-template 1 interface as a ip nat inside, so that it provides internet to the device connected to it

SarathSS42731
Level 1
Level 1

Reinstalling Cisco Anyconnect Client solved my issue