cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone SSL VPN through ASA

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

Im in the middle of configuring Ip Phone SSL VPN through ASA, got stuck on authentication.. When I enter username and password on the phone screen, i get "Username and password failed" message on the screen. However, in ASA logs I see the following line

Feb 16 2011    15:12:57    725002    85.132.43.67    52684            Device completed SSL handshake with client vpn:85.132.*.*/52684

Feb 16 2011    15:17:26    725007    85.132.43.67    52745            SSL session with client vpn:85.132.*.*/52745 terminated.

What does it mean?  How can I turn on debugging to see what is going on?

Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeffrey Schutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you're not using certificates in client authentication then the SSL handshake will complete before the user is requested to authenticate with username/password.  If this authentication request fails you will see the SSL session terminated immediately following this failure (as in the logs you provided).  Notice the 5 seconds between the SSL session establishment and termination, this is most likely when the user is being authenticated against the aaa server.  If the phone is failing authentication against an external aaa-server you'll want to investigate the logs on that server to determine the root cause of the failure.  The ASA can also provide confirmation of the authentication request/reject with the command 'show aaa-server'.  If you want to see what's going on at an authentication protocol level you can enable several debugs including "debug aaa authentication|common|internal' and protocol specific debugs such as 'debug radius user|session|all' or 'debug ldap'.

Did this answer your question? If so, please mark it Answered!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jeffrey Schutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you're not using certificates in client authentication then the SSL handshake will complete before the user is requested to authenticate with username/password.  If this authentication request fails you will see the SSL session terminated immediately following this failure (as in the logs you provided).  Notice the 5 seconds between the SSL session establishment and termination, this is most likely when the user is being authenticated against the aaa server.  If the phone is failing authentication against an external aaa-server you'll want to investigate the logs on that server to determine the root cause of the failure.  The ASA can also provide confirmation of the authentication request/reject with the command 'show aaa-server'.  If you want to see what's going on at an authentication protocol level you can enable several debugs including "debug aaa authentication|common|internal' and protocol specific debugs such as 'debug radius user|session|all' or 'debug ldap'.

Did this answer your question? If so, please mark it Answered!

Thank you Jeffrey, I already managed to solve it myself, thank you anyway!

Hi,

I am having the same issue with IP SSL VPN phone and I cannot locate the error, can anyone please assist. When logging into ASA from IP Phone the error "Usernane and Password Failed" keeps in coming up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: