cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone/iPad unable connect to VPN, error regular translation creation failed for protocol 50

almarcabato
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Help please. I'm new to firewall. I have an ASA 5510 (IP Add: 123.136.x.x) as my VPN gateway. I'm trying to connect from my iPhone IPSEC built-in VPN client through our WLAN. We have a WLC used to managed our WLAN. When I'm trying to connect with my iPhone/iPad, I'm getting an error from the firewall log, "regular translation creation failed for protocol 50" I tried the following VPN connectivity tests:

1. Using Laptop WiFi connection to connect to our VPN, result is successful

2. Using iPhone/iPad WiFi connection, failed, error "regular translation creation failed for protocol 50"

3. Using iPhone/iPad via other ISP, result is successful

For 1 and 2, both Laptop WiFi and iPhone WiFi is using the same WLAN subnet, 192.168.8.0/24. I'm wondering why I'm getting such error when connecting via iPhone/iPad. I've been trying to figure out what's causing the issue, unluckily, no progress yet.

Thanks,

Almar

2 Replies 2

"regular translation creation failed for protocol 50" shows when you don't have a form of translation for ESP.

From your iphone you are sitting on the inside or on the outside trying to connect to the ASA?

IF you are connecting to the ASA you should be getting that error message. You should see that message when trying to pass ESP traffic through the ASA.

I hope this helps.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. We were able to resolve the issue by enabling NAT traversal on both firewall (source and destination).

Regards,

Almar