Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec Client split tunnel doesn resolve external DNS; AnyConnect does

elpollodiablo
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm banging my head on this one.

I have both an IPSec and AnyConnect profile on a single ASA.  Both are set to use the DfltGrpPolicy, which defines some of our internal DNS domains, and is set to tunnel a network list.  I created an Extended ACL to define which networks I wanted to allow to the clients.  Users can log in using the IPSec client or the AnyConnect client and are authenticated against the ACS server properly.  I do not use downloadable ACLs, Network Access Filtering, or Network Access Restrictions.

When I connect with the AnyConnect client, everything works as desired.  The VPN tunnels the DNS domains I specify, allows access to only the networks I specify, and sends everything else out of the local connection. 

However, when I use the IPSec client, ONLY the networks/domains in the DNS domains and tunnel list are accessible.  If I do an nslookup (which hits our internal DNS server), I can only get answers for domains in the domain list.  As far as I can tell, I have the settings for each connection profile (AnyConnect and IPSec) identical.  I even create a new Group Policy and then set it to just inherit the defaults and I get the same results. 

Am I able to add wildcard domains in the DNS suffix list?  I'm so confused as to why the same group policy works differently for the two profiles.  Any help is appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Atul Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it a Windows machine or MAC? And is a dns server configured on physical adapter also? Is split dns being used here?

DNS settings are per-interface in Windows. So if split-tunneling is used, DNS should fall back to physical adapter's DNS servers. Also try checking the "Allow Local LAN Access" in IPSec VPN Client in Transport tab.

-Atul

It doesn't matter what platform the client uses.  (At least it is universal, so I know it's not a problem with any one particular platform.)

I'll try the allow local lan access option and see what happens. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: