Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec VPN

Mani3
Level 1
Level 1

Team Hi,

While reading about IPSec VPN the below mentioned statement has raised me a doubt 

"The peer that has traffic that should be protected will initiate the IKE phase 1 negotiation."

So as per the above statement it states that the peer which has data will initiate the IKE Phase 1 negotiation. Agreed.

But my doubt is here suppose consider Peer A is the sender and Peer B is receiver now who will initiate traffic for IKE Phase 1 negotiation because unless or until if there is request by Peer B which is receiver in our scenario the sender which is Peer A will not send the traffic ..?? Right ?

Is my understanding is correct ? 

SA(Security Association):- Kindly let me know what are all the parameters in the SA must be same while forming ISAKMP tunnel.

4 Replies 4

Mani3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Giuseppe,

Kindly help me to understand on this.

@Mani3 

Before Phase 1 there is an initiation going on which is dependent on the protected traffic (encryption domain) , therefore any traffic that match this ACL trigger the IKE initiation, and below is the steps that take place in IPSEC VPN.

• Initiation: something has to trigger the creation of our tunnels. For example when you configure IPsec on a router, you use an access-list to tell the router what data to protect. When the router receives something that matches the access-list, it will start the IKE process. It’s also possible to manually initiate the tunnel.
  • IKE phase 1: we negotiate a security association to build the IKE phase 1 tunnel (ISAKMP tunnel).
  • IKE phase 2: within the IKE phase 1 tunnel, we build the IKE phase 2 tunnel (IPsec tunnel).
  • Data transfer: we protect user data by sending it through the IKE phase 2 tunnel.
  • Termination: when there is no user data to protect then the IPsec tunnel will be terminated after awhile.

Also store it in mind that IKE phase 1 tunnel is only used for management traffic. This tunnel is used as a secure method to establish the second tunnel called the IKE phase 2 tunnel or IPsec tunnel and for management traffic like keepalives.

Hi Omole,

Thanks for the reply but my question is different and the below which you have given is the same which i read from www.networklessons.com.

@Mani3 

I looked at the best way to described the phase flow for you , and i remember i had that save on my draft. Thanks for the link had been looking for that source since.

Please be explicit about what you want , so we can apply both working experience and understanding of how the technology in other to give you best response. My understanding is that what trigger the IKE Phase 1 .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: