Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4331 - VPN Capabilities

A customer is replacing a Cisco 1941 with a Cisco 4331 router. Looked great on paper until I tried to get client VPNs configured. From what I can tell:

• PPTP isn't supported (L2TP is but requires a router to act as remote client) 
  • Anyconnect isn't supported (no webvpn support)
  • IPSEC/ISAKMP is... but Cisco have stopped providing the VPN client to connect using this

Am I missing something or can this router simply not provide client VPNs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jon,

Yes you are correct.

ISR4331 does not support Anyconnect. For L2TP you need a remote device.

And IPSEC VPN client is already EOL/EOS from Cisco.

Here is the list of VPN's supported on the device:

FlexVPN, Easy VPN remote server, Enhanced Easy VPN, Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN),
Group Encrypted Transport VPN (GET VPN), V3PN, MPLS VPN

Refer to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jon,

Yes you are correct.

ISR4331 does not support Anyconnect. For L2TP you need a remote device.

And IPSEC VPN client is already EOL/EOS from Cisco.

Here is the list of VPN's supported on the device:

FlexVPN, Easy VPN remote server, Enhanced Easy VPN, Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN),
Group Encrypted Transport VPN (GET VPN), V3PN, MPLS VPN

Refer to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

Please correсt this or provide a proof link
> ISR4331 does not support Anyconnect.
Within two days I've met three different customers who were misled by information you provided.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

PPTP hasn't been supported on the ISR's for some time - it just so happened to work, on some IOS versions (and was broken on others).

I believe you can use AnyConnect with IKEv2 on the 4331.  I have not tried it, but it does support IKEv2.  If you are interested in using really strong Suite B crypto and certificates, then I wrote an article on doing this on normal IOS which should translate to IOS-XE.  However it is rather involved.

http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/Cisco-IOS-router-IKEv2-AnyConnect-Suite-B-Crypto.html

Correct, the old Cisco IPSec VPN client is no longer being worked on.

Please provide a configuration example for the 4321 router to act as VPDN server L2TP protocol for windows 7/10 L2TP clients

Thank you,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: