cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MS VPN

wonderpug
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me what will be the outbound/inbound traffic that i need to open for Microsoft's VPN? I have a client working in our network and she need to connect back to their computer via MS's VPN from her windows vpn client. Specifically, I need to allow this type of trafic in my ASA firewall.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Hi,

If using Microsoft's PPTP it uses TCP 1723.

Then it uses GRE to encapsulate the traffic (IP protocol 47)

L2TP uses UDP 1701 but it normally uses IPsec as well.

IPsec uses ESP (IP protocol 50), UDP 500 for ISAKMP and UDP 4500 for NAT-T or TCP 10000 for IPsec/TCP.

Federico.

one more question, do I have to open both outbound/inbound traffic for these ports?

If the client is inside the ASA (server outside).... and assuming PPTP...

The VPN connection will be establishing using TCP 1723

Port 1723 will be the destination port.

The source port will be a random generated port.

Normally what you do is make sure that outgoing destination port TCP 1723 is permitted and also GRE.

Check out that you have PPTP inspection enabled on the ASA so the return traffic will be automatically permitted (just worry about outbound access).

policy-map global_policy

class inspection_default

inspect pptp

Federico.

Probably that make sense why there's no return traffic in my case. Actually my clients use both pptp and l2tp. I will try your method and let you know if that works out.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: